is this a chicken??

chatychick,
he is actually smarter than most other peoples dogs. here is a story that you may or may not believe but it is 100% true and i have reliable witnesses.

so when chicken little lived at the house we had a 2' x 3' cage that he stayed in when we were not at home or asleep. i lined the bottom of the cage with newspapers and every evening when i came home i would let him out to play with the cat while i changed the paper. he really liked following the cat around. the only times he has ever made a real attempt at flying was to try and get someplace the cat had climbed to.

as he got bigger he started going to the stack of papers and would snatch out one sheet at a time and drag it over to me and then run to get another. we thought this was pretty cute and was our first hint that this chicken was pretty smart. the wife took this photo one evening while he was acquiring a sheet of news print.

DSCN1850.jpg

well one evening i came in the door and let him out of his cage. before i could start the paper changing routine the phone rang. i went on in the house and ended up in a prolonged conversation. when i came back out to the garage chicken little had managed to drag most of the dirty paper out of his cage and was dragging new sheets in. of course he had made a big mess of it because he couldn't roll the dirty paper up neatly and get it in the garbage can but he had made a genuine effort.

i had to redo his work but it was quite amusing. he understood that the paper needed to be changed and was going to do it himself if i didn't. while he lived in the house he would usually go back to his favorite crap corner of his cage to make a mess. he seldom had an accident outside of his cage and only on the concrete in the garage. he never crapped in the house save one instance on the tile in the kitchen. he was moving rapidly back toward the garage and his cage but didn't make it. i didn't have the heart to scold him.

i wondered if he got the idea from the cat always going to the litter box to do its business or if he was just more comfortable in his cage. he was house broken better than some dogs. if he hadn't picked up the habit of crowing every time we turned on a light in the middle of the night or when lightning flashed he would probably still be living in the garage. but i think he is happier here at the shop. there is someone here all day, six days a week and when we leave and turn the lights out he goes to sleep. at the house it was bed time for a chicken by the time we got home in the evenings and he spent the entire day having nothing to do but watch the cat either sleep or roam around.
michael

Hey Michael,

Nice story. Had me laughing...your antics with Chicken Little. I can relate to the part where you talk about him laying down and you freaking out about it. The first time I saw my chickens do that...they ALL did that. I freaked out. Imagine 14 hens, all spread out on the floor wings spread out and not moving. I ran outside as fast as I could yelling at them. I think I freaked them out because they all ran inside and rooster just went berzerk doing his "PREDATOR! PREDATOR! PREDATOR!" cry.

Kudos on Chicken Little for finding you...I think he planned this all along!

Peace-

~:-V

PS Keep posting...I can't wait to hear more!

How funny! Chicken Little is adorable. Everyone should have a best bird bud.

I'm suprised that Purple Chicken hasn't told you just exactly how evil Silkies actually are. It looks like CL has you totally under his command. Brainwashed...enslaved. There's just no hope for escape at this point.
gig.gif

Welcome to BYC. Chicken Little is adorable!!! Sorry about Jeanie's recent death. I had my Doozy Cat for 19 years, basically all my adult life. I still miss her. Enjoy your little roo. You might want to do a search on imprinting, since it sounds like he thinks he's people too. I had a little imprinted roo as a pet when I was a kid, he was a great pet.

Love your website

Karen

I admire you're story telling abilities. He's is a handsome silkie. I have one that looks just like his baby picture in my brooder box right now. Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Chicken Little has a Chicken Big story going for him!! I read it earlier today off your website and just could not stop!! I truly have to say that I am smitten with your chicken!!!
smile.png

That mug is the cutest chicken mug I have ever seen!! You are so lucky to have such a cool pet!

Back
Top Bottom