Is this a female Turkey? - NEW PICS & NEW TURKEYS!

I have had some hens strut around with the males. They strut clumsy not like males. Not sure why they do that. So to strut isn't always easy answer to make it a male i learned that the hard way. when we was dressing turkeys. We was butchering males and it strutted got butchered. Well..... then one turned out to be hen. So that isn't always true if they are playing around sometimes hens strutt.

Haven't seen the original turkey strut at all? not once! so *fingers crossed* would be nice if it is a female! (it's name is Tom.... regardless of sex! lol Has been called Tom turkey since the day we got it!)

Tom has decided it is the turkey mum for the new babies! It sits there and holds it's wings up and waits for the two younger turkeys to snuggle in. A bit cute I think!

Would a male display these kind of maternal instincts? I would assume not?

your bird is a jake. clear wattles and bright red on the face. im almost 100% just by a picture.(p.s. hens can strut up a storm and iv even heard them do a "gobble" before... so dont go by sounds or displays in domestic birds. go by weight, and the structure of the wattles up the snood.

Thanks Wayne&Kim1963 The turkeys are a bit cute! I think it is strange how some people find them scary. They are actually very lovely and have interesting personalities. I have always loved my original turkey... and when they are little they are just so funny to watch!

The white turkey in first pictures is hen. At 6 months old if was tom that turkey would look more like tom. How it is holding its tail feathers when being little startled tells me it is female and how its head looks to me says female. I also think its legs look small for a tom too. So my opinion is female

I have a hen that will puff up and strut like a tom when the real tom is servicing the other hens... I think she's just trying to be the dominant hen. (I know she is a hen).

Still no more certain either way re: the turkey! I have sneaking suspicions that it may be a 'he' based on the other two young turkeys I have. Out of those I can clearly see a male and a female. My current turkey looks more like the male...... but then again it is 3 months or so older... and I can't remember what my original turkey quite looked like all those weeks ago!! I still wouldn't rule out it being a girl!

I have seen it 'strut' once now. It did it the other day when I was bringing feed up. I laughed! It was a short two strided strut.. but the feathers were all in the right places and it just looked so funny compared to the demure, gentle turkey that it has always been in the past!

The turkeys are such cute creatures.

I know this is off topic But for two days I have been reading your blogs and others about Turkeys and you are one to admire for what information that you have put out and I am grateful.
I have just in the last week picked up my 17 Bourbon Red Polts.
I am doing my best to be prepared for what to expect with my turkeys.
I am raising them with 8 new incubated chics from my flock of chickens being the same age.

Back
Top Bottom