is this a hen or rooster?

I am wondering if the farmer bread them wrong, or got eggs mixed up, or just lied about the hole thing (RIR father and white mutt mother).

Sex Link Chicks should all be sexed at birth and I agree it is rare if at all to be wrong. That's why I think something sneaky happened. Maybe they were hurting for money???? What ever the case, he was a rooster.

I posted a pic of him at the beginning of this thread. Well, 2 days later the comb and waddles were much more larger and fire red the crowing and the feathers.

I never got a good side pic to post on here for everyone to look at. (fourth of July holiday got in the way).

Just makes me sad. I really wanted 4 hens. This time I thought for sure we would get the sex right. (we had 4 other hens that turned out to be roosters) SOOOO now we are down to 3. I thought about adding another hen to the flock but not sure I want any more surprises
sickbyc.gif

We have 3 hens now, White Wyandotte, production RIR and a Black sex link. They are all three easy going and content with each other. I should just leave it at that and be happy.

I am wondering if the farmer bread them wrong, or got eggs mixed up, or just lied about the hole thing (RIR father and white mutt mother).

Sex Link Chicks should all be sexed at birth and I agree it is rare if at all to be wrong. That's why I think something sneaky happened. Maybe they were hurting for money???? What ever the case, he was a rooster.

I posted a pic of him at the beginning of this thread. Well, 2 days later the comb and waddles were much more larger and fire red the crowing and the feathers.

I never got a good side pic to post on here for everyone to look at. (fourth of July holiday got in the way).

Just makes me sad. I really wanted 4 hens. This time I thought for sure we would get the sex right. (we had 4 other hens that turned out to be roosters) SOOOO now we are down to 3. I thought about adding another hen to the flock but not sure I want any more surprises
sickbyc.gif

We have 3 hens now, White Wyandotte, production RIR and a Black sex link. They are all three easy going and content with each other. I should just leave it at that and be happy.
sad.png
So sorry. Maybe you can get a chick from craigslist to replace him?

If not there, there is a shop near us that adopts out former organic layers who are past peak efficiency, but still have plenty of life in them. If you can find a thing like this, you may be able to guarantee a hen. Of course, you would have to watch for integrating that hen, but it would be a hen....

Thanks for the info. I have thought and actually looked on Craigslist. But I think 3 is where we are going to stay. They are all content and happy. I think that adding now at their age is just going to throw a wrench in there happy little lives. Not sure I am up for anymore fighting.
rant.gif

But these girls had better start earning their keep HA!!!

Looks like a girl to me cuz there are no tail feathers
The tail feathers fell out, got pulled out (?) about 3 or 4 weeks ago.(could of been the fighting)

But that was another reason I was fooled (that and I have little experience).

He was REALLY MEAN.
I am glad he has another home
ya.gif

It's rare to sex a sex link wrong, thus their name.

Usually, hens are the ones picking on each other.

What did she say that led her to believe "he" is a rooster? Feather shape? Comb size?

Interesting...
almost looked like a RiR to me but a little on the lite side

Back
Top Bottom