Is this a pea comb on EE? Too early to sex?

IvyBeans

Songster
May 22, 2023
Seattle suburbs
IMG_3545.jpeg
The first 3 are of the hopeful 4 week 2 day old Easter egger we can keep. Third pic is her body in profile at the bottom of the image. The last is a picture of the one I’m now pretty sure is a cockerel for comparison, tell me if I’m wrong!

Also, can you tell if the first one is going to have muffs and or beard? I think her pattern is so pretty. Brown and black across her wings and back, black and white on neck. I think her head will be black. Now that she’s my only hope, I am really hoping for some pretty eggs!

Attachments

• IMG_3546.jpeg
    IMG_3546.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3536.jpeg
    IMG_3536.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3540.jpeg
    IMG_3540.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 19
The first picture is of a pullet. Doesn't look like she will have a beard. She has a single comb. Easter eggers are crosses and won't always have beards nor pea combs. The other Easter egger is probably a cockerel, as you suspect, but I would give it a couple of weeks more just to be sure.

The first picture is of a pullet. Doesn't look like she will have a beard. She has a single comb. Easter eggers are crosses and won't always have beards nor pea combs. The other Easter egger is probably a cockerel, as you suspect, but I would give it a couple of weeks more just to be sure.
Do you think she could actually be an Olive Egger? She’s from Mt Healthy.

I’m bummed about the single comb and no beard. Especially since the other is a cockerel. Not sure Id go with Mt Healthy for Easter Eggers again. So many people seem to have cockerels from their pullet Easter Eggers.

IMG_3511.jpeg

Here’s a better look of “her” colors. With so much rusty red- it’s coming in at neck and back, too is there really still hope?

Do you think she could actually be an Olive Egger? She’s from Mt Healthy.

I’m bummed about the single comb and no beard. Especially since the other is a cockerel. Not sure Id go with Mt Healthy for Easter Eggers again. So many people seem to have cockerels from their pullet Easter Eggers.
It's possible. When she lays then it will be more clear. It does seem like hatcheries send a lot of Waster egger cockerels on accident.

Could it be a cream legbar mix with its comb? Does anyone know what Mt Healthy uses to make Easter Eggers? Or what might this particular chick be mixed with? Baby pic, she’s one of the chipmunk chicks with more brown on her back.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpeg
    IMG_3013.jpeg
    410.7 KB · Views: 10
Not seeing a crest on the single combed pullet- so unless the legbar genes are way back- guessing she's just a regular old EE with something single combed mixed in maybe to increase interesting feather color or egg production.

Have to say the second EE/OE really does look like it has cockerel coloring coming in. The blotchy red patches are pretty typical.

That said, as long as it's behaving and not crowing- they're fun to have around.

I have an OE who I'm pretty sure is a cockerel as well, but am holding out hope until I hear it crow, or in a couple weeks when they pass the 10 week mark if secondary sex feathering starts.

Good looking birds either way, and fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom