Is this an ear infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinar, Nov 4, 2016.

1. tinar

tinar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    My sweet Diva has huge lump under left ear and right ear is kinda swollen. I haven't seen any mites and she's recently been wormed with Ivermectin.

2. tinar

tinar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    [​IMG]
    It feels warm and hard.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. tinar

tinar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? She's been given 2 days of Tylan injections. My husband gave the 1st in her upper leg and she hasn't walked since. I really want to help her! Thank you!!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. tinar

tinar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Thank you so much for your response!!
    There are 2 scab looking areas on the hard, swollen pocket. She has no respiratory symptoms and still isn't walking on left foot. Tylan doesn't seem to be reducing puss pocket and the right cheek/eye is swollen now.

6. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Could she have been stung by something?

I would start by soaking the scabs with a warm, Epsom water compress... see if you can soften them enough to pull them off and see what you're working with.

Wyorp Rock is correct... You've gotta get that puss out of there. Chicken puss is different to mammal puss in that it's hard and cheese-like... sort of like cottage cheese or ricotta, rather than the gooey, runny stuff that comes out of humans, dogs, etc. You may have to "pick" at it, if you can get to it.

Also, I agree that getting this chicken to a vet is ideal.

MrsB

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It looks like a disease I saw on a link from The Chicken Chick.....Sorry for the life of me I can not remember the name of it.....Search her site.....

Best of luck...

Cheers!

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

9. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'd also recommend switching to the oral dosing.

Tylan is a really thick antibiotic and causes pain and inflammation at the injection site. One member also reported a case of necrotic tissue at the injection site a few days after administering. Dosing orally removes all the concern from that, at least. :)

It could also be a tumor (less likely).

If you check inside her beak, do you see anything out of the ordinary like a canker?

MrsB

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by