Is this an ear infection?

tinar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 22, 2014
[/IMG]
My sweet Diva has huge lump under left ear and right ear is kinda swollen. I haven't seen any mites and she's recently been wormed with Ivermectin.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? She's been given 2 days of Tylan injections. My husband gave the 1st in her upper leg and she hasn't walked since. I really want to help her! Thank you!!

[/URL]
My sweet Diva has huge lump under left ear and right ear is kinda swollen. I haven't seen any mites and she's recently been wormed with Ivermectin.
I'm sorry your are having trouble.

In the second photo is there a scab on the ear?
It does look like she may have an ear infection. Any other symptoms - coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny eyes/nose?

Vet care would be best.

If it is infected you will have to try to remove the pus, even if you treat with antibiotic the solid pus will need to be removed.

Injection can be given in the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, alternating sides. Hopefully the pain from the injection will be temporary in her leg. If you are using Tylan 50 injectible it can be given orally as well.

Here's some information on ear infections and removal.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919235/ear-infection-in-rooster
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831156/really-nasty-ear-infection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics

Thank you so much for your response!!
There are 2 scab looking areas on the hard, swollen pocket. She has no respiratory symptoms and still isn't walking on left foot. Tylan doesn't seem to be reducing puss pocket and the right cheek/eye is swollen now.

Could she have been stung by something?

I would start by soaking the scabs with a warm, Epsom water compress... see if you can soften them enough to pull them off and see what you're working with.

Wyorp Rock is correct... You've gotta get that puss out of there. Chicken puss is different to mammal puss in that it's hard and cheese-like... sort of like cottage cheese or ricotta, rather than the gooey, runny stuff that comes out of humans, dogs, etc. You may have to "pick" at it, if you can get to it.

Also, I agree that getting this chicken to a vet is ideal.

MrsB

Thank you so much for your response!!
There are 2 scab looking areas on the hard, swollen pocket. She has no respiratory symptoms and still isn't walking on left foot. Tylan doesn't seem to be reducing puss pocket and the right cheek/eye is swollen now. The swelling could be from a sting, pecking/injury or possibly some type of respiratory illness.

Tylan may help, but you will need to get the pus out first. As @MrsBrooke states, chicken pus is hard and "cheese-like", it has to come out first.
If vet care is not available you will have to do this yourself. Soaking the scabs in warm water/epsom salt compress will help soften it so you can take the scab off. You can also use a little Peroxide on the pus, once you get the scab off. Use whatever you can (tweezers/qtips, etc.) to pull/pick/squeeze the pus out. Then you can apply some more Peroxide to soften it up some more until you get it all out. This may need to be performed over the course of a couple of days, depending on how your hen takes it. Once you get the pus out, apply some triple antibiotic ointment.

Let us know how it goes.

I'd also recommend switching to the oral dosing.

Tylan is a really thick antibiotic and causes pain and inflammation at the injection site. One member also reported a case of necrotic tissue at the injection site a few days after administering. Dosing orally removes all the concern from that, at least. :)

It could also be a tumor (less likely).

If you check inside her beak, do you see anything out of the ordinary like a canker?

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom