Is this barbed mesh cage predator-proof?

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
On December of 2017, I just lost all my doves due to a Cooper's hawk. To combat this, we applied mesh grids on all surfaces of the cage and attached them with barbs and hooks. I'm pretty unsure if this is going to be an effective deterrent towards predators of a certain species. Tell me from your experiences:
Cages #16.JPG
Cages #17.JPG
Cages #22.JPG
Cages #21.JPG
Cages #18.JPG
Cages #19.JPG
Cages #20.JPG

Thanks for your help!

The mesh when properly secured will turn back most predators. In afraid your attempt at barbs is more of a danger to you and others than to predators. A raccoon will climb a feeder covered in barbed wire but cant get into a coop with secure mesh.

Those scraps of wire would make excellent souces for infection should you or someone else scratches themselves. Had my whole hand swell up from such a small wire in about 12 hours. Other pets if you have any could have the same problem.

Just make sure your mesh is well secured.

The mesh when properly secured will turn back most predators. In afraid your attempt at barbs is more of a danger to you and others than to predators. A raccoon will climb a feeder covered in barbed wire but cant get into a coop with secure mesh.

Those scraps of wire would make excellent souces for infection should you or someone else scratches themselves. Had my whole hand swell up from such a small wire in about 12 hours. Other pets if you have any could have the same problem.

Just make sure your mesh is well secured.
Thank you for saying. My parents put this up thinking this will deter predators and not us people. Will it repel?

The mesh will stop most of the predators, the "barbs" will only harm you or any other human.
My biggest problem is Raccoons, we have hawks, foxes and coyotes and good heavy mesh stops all of these from getting into our birds when inside their coop.
The breeder we use raises quail, chickens, ducks, geese and doves and he uses the same heavy mesh we use (1/2 " 19 gauge) and he has the same predators we do. He has not lost any birds either.

The mesh will stop most of the predators, the "barbs" will only harm you or any other human.
My biggest problem is Raccoons, we have hawks, foxes and coyotes and good heavy mesh stops all of these from getting into our birds when inside their coop.
The breeder we use raises quail, chickens, ducks, geese and doves and he uses the same heavy mesh we use (1/2 " 19 gauge) and he has the same predators we do. He has not lost any birds either.
I appreciate your advice! Thanks!

To further this thread one more inch (this is helpful to me as well as I’m wanting to narrow down the products I’ll be using on my in-process coop).

When you are saying mesh, is there a specific brand or name for this mesh? I’ve only heard of hardware cloth and chicken wire.

I have chicken wire in use for their daytime play coop but I’ve read it’s not predator proof so I’m wanting to use this recommended hardware cloth or ‘mesh’.

To further this thread one more inch (this is helpful to me as well as I’m wanting to narrow down the products I’ll be using on my in-process coop).

When you are saying mesh, is there a specific brand or name for this mesh? I’ve only heard of hardware cloth and chicken wire.

I have chicken wire in use for their daytime play coop but I’ve read it’s not predator proof so I’m wanting to use this recommended hardware cloth or ‘mesh’.

We've had the mesh for quite a while now, however, I didn't pay attention to the brand name. Sorry...:confused: I don't think there's a specific common name for this type of screen, though we simply call it as "mesh" or "netting".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom