So scared them to death...it's possible, then the bars may be function l in keeping the hawk from landing on cage.
How many doves died?
Did thye have any wounds?
This is very sad, becuase all of them died, so I have none left. And some were decapitated, or to say the least, severely wounded and scarred.

I will decide if I should even get pet birds while trying to give them the highest standards of care possible with the least amount of suffering involved.

This will keep the occupants of the cage safe from a hawk getting to them. But it won't stop the hawk from landing on the cage. This set-up, however, will not stop a raccoon. You'll need to attach the wire more securely. I've seen raccoons tear apart a live trap and escape. I used to raise pigeons and had the same problem of hawks landing on the cages (a long cage 6 x 20 off the ground). Oddly the hawks were after the rodents darting under the cages. To stop the sudden death syndrome, I made a 'safe' area for the pigeons to hide behind/under. I simply attached leaves and branches over and around one end of the cage-creating a cave-like area for the birds to hide. This was my zoo management training coming into play. Always create an area for the zoo animals to hide from attention. The stress of being stared at all day is to much for any living creature. Today, I would probably use a shade cloth or tarp to make a safe area.

Wonder if it was raccoons rather than a hawk.
Regardless, losing your birds to predators is devastating,
and some can be very hard to keep away.
Amen! Tomorrow, the bird mart will be opening!
This will keep the occupants of the cage safe from a hawk getting to them. But it won't stop the hawk from landing on the cage. This set-up, however, will not stop a raccoon. You'll need to attach the wire more securely. I've seen raccoons tear apart a live trap and escape. I used to raise pigeons and had the same problem of hawks landing on the cages (a long cage 6 x 20 off the ground). Oddly the hawks were after the rodents darting under the cages. To stop the sudden death syndrome, I made a 'safe' area for the pigeons to hide behind/under. I simply attached leaves and branches over and around one end of the cage-creating a cave-like area for the birds to hide. This was my zoo management training coming into play. Always create an area for the zoo animals to hide from attention. The stress of being stared at all day is to much for any living creature. Today, I would probably use a shade cloth or tarp to make a safe area.
Thanks for the advice. I may add security and protection to the cage in the future.

Back
Top Bottom