Is this Bear or Coyote fur?? Help me determine what I'm up agenst!

Quote:
Exactly. Living in the forest is tough. Lol we didn't have BEARS in the city where I grew up! (the grandparents did have a lot of preditors though so I wasn't really new to it.)

I did scare it off accidentally though. I woke up at about 5am to something body slamming my house and a cat(?) scream. By the time I ripped open the curtains and window I had scared it off before DBF could get shoes and the gun. We thought it was a coyote getting a cat(neighbor lady just abandoned like 10 cats and we feed one) and didnt fire a warning because I thought it was long gone. When It was light I followed the feathers and found the fur.

And the lone boy will now be living in his own bachelor coop until I process him. Good thing I have a recently vacanted coop!

Last edited:
Quote:
there should be tracks close by they are kina easy to tell apart
smile.png

Pine needles and leaves everywhere I cant find any tracks! Plus the whole driveway is covered with gravel. There is big disturbances in the ground and I just couldn't tell what it is.

*going back out to scour for tracks!*

I hunt the same type of pine swamps here bear tracks are easy to find with these things if you don,t see a bear track it is prolly a yote the bears here the track is 8-12" big around very easy to see

Quote:
Pine needles and leaves everywhere I cant find any tracks! Plus the whole driveway is covered with gravel. There is big disturbances in the ground and I just couldn't tell what it is.

*going back out to scour for tracks!*

I hunt the same type of pine swamps here bear tracks are easy to find with these things if you don,t see a bear track it is prolly a yote the bears here the track is 8-12" big around very easy to see

This was the last one... Pics taken in August.

2nd pic not for fient of heart.

47583_img_2226.jpg

Never found a single print from this guy and he was coming around for about 2 months before these pics were taken. I had to get a depridation permit from DFG after he learned how to bodyslam the hotwire. I could tell he was coming around cause little things were off here and there, things knocked over and rummaged through, weird things went missing like a drop light. Only thing that gave me half a print was to rake and flour the ground.
My 20 year old cousin was holding it up for a pic.

IMG_2239.jpg

Extremely sad!
sad.png
I just hope I can teach this one before he teaches me. Might try a metal tin hung with wire with food in it. Zap his tongue. I have a few more tricks to try too.

Oh and now I'm paranoid to go outside.

Last edited:
Quote:
as long as your coop isn't between you and your house, you should be good. If you open your windows, and stay watch you can figure out what it is, and if its a coyote, you don't need a permit to shoot it cuz its eating your property, and its a common animal that is allowed to be hunted. (at least where I live...)

It's still bear season here until christmas day if he becomes a huge problem(
fl.gif
that it is a male..) and ole Henry at fish and game should remember me well enough! and yes coyote are legal to shoot if they're getting your livestock.

I really dont like killing things but will do whatever to protect my flock. I try to do all the non-lethal things first!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom