Is this big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by leah_c, May 21, 2010.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    So... my husband decided that we're building a tractor this weekend for our 11 bantams. He has it figured out that it'll be 5x8 with a detachable run. Not sure how big the run will be because he also wants them to free range. Do you think that should be enough room for them? We are also getting 3 more Frizzles today.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    With the three more birds (14 total) that gives you less than 3 sq. ft. per bird. That would not be nearly enough for LF, but it might be OK for banties, especially since they will have access to a run.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Are all frizzles bantams? For bantams, that should be okay, and you would want a run of at least 70 sq. ft. unless they would be spending a lot of time freeranging each day.

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Without the 3 extra ones you were just fine. Now you are a little on the small cooped size....but if your run area is decent size they should be fine.

5. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advise!! All of our chicken right now are banties. I'm assuming that our Frizzles are banties too, but they didn't come in today. The 11 we have are about 4 weeks old. They really need to get out of the "coop" they're in now so I think any space right now would be good. They will also free range as much as possible. New to all this chicken stuff so appreciate the help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by