is this black americauna chick a roo or pullet?

nyseman

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 26, 2009
Garber
A friend gave me 4 blue eggs from her americana hens that were with a beautiful large blueish rooster. My Black Cooper Maran hen set on those 4 plus 5 other of her eggs . This was the only one to hatch. It hatched on June 11th so it is 3 months. Ive never had this breed before so can someone please help me decide what gender it is.

At attention...the dogs started barking...it does have tufts, you just cant see them in this picture

staying warm with the 2 yr and older hens

running away. its legs are kinda big

Last edited:
Its body looks girly, but its comb seems too big and pink for an ameraucana pullet of 3 months. Though maybe it's a mix?. Beautiful bird, regardless
smile.png

Its definately a pullet, and a very pretty one at that. No sickle feathers or hackle feathers, legs are relatively short compared to body, and while he comb is a very healthy red its still small. So very good luck of the draw there.

I just recently faced this delima. I found my answer when I lifted up feathers on the back. The pointy saddle feathers could just be slow coming in. The pullets seem to feather in faster. Look at the back, lift a few feathers, and see if there are some pointy saddle feathers coming in.

OBTW, to me, it is looking girlie body wise.

Cockerel all the way. Also btw, he doesn't have tufts, he has a beard and muffs. Araucanas have tufts. Judging by the yellow on the bottom of his feet, he's an Easter Egger not an Ameraucana
smile.png
He's still gorgeous no matter what he is though
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom