Is this Coccidiosis or something else?

Niteeyes

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
New England
Yesterday when I was checking on the chickens I noticed droppings like those in the picture. I don't know which chicken it came from . All the birds are 20 weeks old, look and act fine (not laying yet) (Dominique hens, Speckled Sussex hens and a Cochin rooster). I checked the vent of every bird but I did not find anything unusual. As a precaution I started treating for Coccidiosis with Corid. They were already treated approximately 2 weeks ago after I lost a hen. The coop was cleaned and disinfected at that time. At one point I thought that the chicken ate too many strawberries and maybe that contributed to the color of the droppings but after some reading I don't think that is the case . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
IMG_20230829_085532629.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_085518344.jpg
    IMG_20230829_085518344.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230829_085545880.jpg
    IMG_20230829_085545880.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230829_085540860.jpg
    IMG_20230829_085540860.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 5
Have they been eating a lot of strawberries?

I agree, you did the right thing in beginning the Corid.
Very good that you checked every vent just to be sure the blood was not due to injury or prolapse.

It might be a good idea to take some samples to your vet for a fecal float just to make sure worms are not the cause of the bloody poop.

Here's dosing in case you need it.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Have they been eating a lot of strawberries?

I agree, you did the right thing in beginning the Corid.
Very good that you checked every vent just to be sure the blood was not due to injury or prolapse.

It might be a good idea to take some samples to your vet for a fecal float just to make sure worms are not the cause of the bloody poop.

Here's dosing in case you need it.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
They recently had some strawberries, and there was a particularly large one in the bunch. Thank you for your quick response and information!

They recently had some strawberries, and there was a particularly large one in the bunch. Thank you for your quick response and information!
I would expect to see some red (from strawberries) no more than 24hrs after they ate them, so if it's been over a day and you are seeing poop like that, I would say it's blood.

Update: The red in the droppings went away after 1-2 days. I am back to believing it was the strawberries but I am continuing the Corid for the full treatment period just to be safe...and no more strawberries for the chickens. All the chickens seem healthy and we just got our first egg on September 1st.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Update: The red in the droppings went away after 1-2 days. I am back to believing it was the strawberries but I am continuing the Corid for the full treatment period just to be safe...and no more strawberries for the chickens. All the chickens seem healthy and we just got our first egg on September 1st.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Glad to hear things are going well!
Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom