Is this coccidiosis?

Treat EVERYONE. Coccidiosis is a one celled organism that lives everywhere. Especially because your birds live in adjacent pens, if you don't treat the adults, another source of contamination is sitting right there waiting to recontaminate your baby flock.

The only way to find out if it is indeed coccidiosis is to look at the questionable feces on a slide under a microscope.

BUT - the Corid won't hurt anyone regardless of whether coccidiosis is present, and there is no egg-withdrawal time per the FDA, so there's no downside in treating all of them. Much better than confirming the diagnosis with a very sick or dead chick!!

Do make sure you do the 2nd round of Corid dose- Mark on a calender with today as your first treatment so you know when to start the 2nd treatment.
The 2nd dose will be 2 weeks from now or 2 weeks after this first round? Do I go another 5 days?

The 2nd dose will be 2 weeks from now or 2 weeks after this first round? Do I go another 5 days?
My understanding is 2 weeks from the last day of treatment in the first round. i.e. once day 5 has come and gone in this treatment, give them a 2 week break from treatment.

Then start them back after the 14 day break. I've seen anything from 3-5 days of additional treatment recommended for the 2nd round.

Once the SECOND round of treatment has come and gone, then give everyone Nutridrench to restore B-1 levels. But not until BOTH rounds of treatment have been given.

My understanding is 2 weeks from the last day of treatment in the first round. i.e. once day 5 has come and gone in this treatment, give them a 2 week break from treatment.

Then start them back after the 14 day break. I've seen anything from 3-5 days of additional treatment recommended for the 2nd round.

Once the SECOND round of treatment has come and gone, then give everyone Nutridrench to restore B-1 levels. But not until BOTH rounds of treatment have been given.
Got it! Thanks so much!!

I've always heard the second round is one weeks after the last of the first five days of treatment. Heck, if not sure, split the difference and start the second round ten days after the last dose. You're doing it to nail coccidia that have hatched in between the two rounds.

Doesn't hurt to treat. Its too uncomfortably dark red in color to think it isn't coccidia but at the same time it does look stringy like intestinal lining. Can you share more pictures of the poop? Is she constantly pooping this?

Doesn't hurt to treat. Its too uncomfortably dark red in color to think it isn't coccidia but at the same time it does look stringy like intestinal lining. Can you share more pictures of the poop? Is she constantly pooping this?
There hasn’t been any more poop from anyone with blood. I pretty much spent all day with them! But I did start treatment. Just in case. I’ll start treatment on the adults tomorrow.

There hasn’t been any more poop from anyone with blood. I pretty much spent all day with them! But I did start treatment. Just in case. I’ll start treatment on the adults tomorrow.
If this appeared to be a one time poop, I can't help but lean towards intestinal lining. These are older birds, right?
In the end, it still doesn't hurt to be safe and treat anyways. I hope everything goes well!

I've always heard the second round is one weeks after the last of the first five days of treatment. Heck, if not sure, split the difference and start the second round ten days after the last dose. You're doing it to nail coccidia that have hatched in between the two rounds.
Thank you. Most of my adults (but not all) were vaccinated for cocci as chicks. Corid is ok for them? And 3 ducks in the mix too.

Back
Top Bottom