I’m just so worried that this duckling is shrink wrapping and I think in a strange position. This is my egg with one of the weirdest looking saddle air cells I’ve seen. I didn’t even think it was viable
When did you stop turning? Were these eggs shipped to you /have to travel through the postal service?

Before you do anything else, it'd be a wonderful idea and in the best interest of the duckling and you, to read the assistance article. It's got some of the most helpful information you'll find and the information is accurate :D

I did lose one of the Call Ducklings during the hatch unfortunately. I still feel horrible about it because I was assisting. I'm not sure exactly what happened to cause it's death but the other ducklings kept my attention which helped a lot. Sometimes we lose one or however many but we have to keep our thoughts clear to do whatever is needed (waiting it out, assisting, etc) to help the others. I'm wishing you the best with this hatch. I love KC's!!!
Also should I give any egg that has bruising from attempted pipping a safety hole? I’m just worried about doing way more hard then good. I’ve seen a lot of people make those kind of mistakes on here so I’m a little conflicted on when to help.

Also should I give any egg that has bruising from attempted pipping a safety hole? I’m just worried about doing way more hard then good. I’ve seen a lot of people make those kind of mistakes on here so I’m a little conflicted on when to help.
I just checked the article I linked and it does go over what to do if you have an egg that's bruised. Good job catching the bruising! The part of the article you'll need to read regarding that will be in the "malpositioned" part. It's closer to the bottom of the article. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and if I can't help, we'll tag someone that can

It's almost 2am here, so I'm going to check for any other external pips in my eggs or anything that needs addressing. It's Day 26 now for my eggs, which is hatch day for Calls (Aztec are made from Calls and Mallards).

I've also got to go outside to get one of my cockerel off the roost to check his toe that I noticed looking odd.

I'll check back before going to bed in case there is anything I can help with :D

It's almost 2am here, so I'm going to check for any other external pips in my eggs or anything that needs addressing. It's Day 26 now for my eggs, which is hatch day for Calls (Aztec are made from Calls and Mallards).

I've also got to go outside to get one of my cockerel off the roost to check his toe that I noticed looking odd.

I'll check back before going to bed in case there is anything I can help with :D
Its great that we both have babies hatching at the same time! It’s only 11 for me here. I have been over that article a few times but I’m really nervous about opening the bruise on one because it didn’t happen in the air cell. These eggs are all shipped eggs so I have some strange air cells for sure.

I'll tag some people that will be able to help with this. The bruised egg is concerning. I'd be very nervous about opening at the bruise, but the duckling probably already kicked the vein which caused the bruise. If it were mine, I would make a safety hole where the bruise is but very carefully. Do you have something sharp that makes a small hole efficiently? I like to use a sharp screw that I can twist between my fingers. I'd probably practice on another egg that I wasn't incubating to make sure I was using the right amount of pressure. After practicing, I'd go for it but very carefully to make sure to not puncture the membrane and possibly knick another vein. Just be aware that there may be nothing you can do.

@FunnyfarmMidwest had an egg that tried to pip on the wrong end like this resulting in a bruise. I'm not sure if she found the bruise too late or not. She has experienced this though

@MGG has helped me get through many obstacles in hatching

Pyxis wrote the article and will know what to do. She and casportpony worked together on this I believe (at least she provided a lot of the pictures) and both of these ladies are incredibly busy and not available to reply often but maybe they'll have a moment to reply about this "early pip on the wrong end for a KC that resulted in a bruise"

Edited to remove tags since this awesome OP has already taken care of it :D

Last edited:
@FunnyfarmMidwest had an egg that tried to pip on the wrong end like this resulting in a bruise. I'm not sure if she found the bruise too late or not. She has experienced this though

@MGG has helped me get through many obstacles in hatching

@Pyxis wrote the article and will know what to do. She and @casportpony worked together on this I believe (at least she provided a lot of the pictures) and both of these ladies are incredibly busy and not available to reply often but maybe they'll have a moment to reply about this "early pip on the wrong end for a KC that resulted in a bruise"
I opened up on on a bruise on one because it was way below the air cell and low and behold there was a little beak waving at me now she’s is yawning and chewing. The other one with a smaller bruise I gave an air hole because it looks like air can get to that spot.

Back
Top Bottom