I opened up on on a bruise on one because it was way below the air cell and low and behold there was a little beak waving at me now she’s is yawning and chewing. The other one with a smaller bruise I gave an air hole because it looks like air can get to that spot.
Yay! Great job! You're a very impressive hatching assistant. Hopefully the hatch will be nice and uneventful from here on out. This makes me so happy!

I do not I opened another bruise bruise earlier this morning so I got 3 little beaks waving but no progress so I’m worried about shrink wrapping.

@FunnyfarmMidwest had an egg that tried to pip on the wrong end like this resulting in a bruise. I'm not sure if she found the bruise too late or not. She has experienced this though

@MGG has helped me get through many obstacles in hatching

Pyxis wrote the article and will know what to do. She and casportpony worked together on this I believe (at least she provided a lot of the pictures) and both of these ladies are incredibly busy and not available to reply often but maybe they'll have a moment to reply about this "early pip on the wrong end for a KC that resulted in a bruise"

Edited to remove tags since this awesome OP has already taken care of it :D
Thanks for the tag! So sorry I didn’t see a notification for this tag or I would have responded earlier. Yes I have experienced malpositioned ducklings many times. If I find a bruise on one of my eggs I always open the area over the bruise and make sure the duckling’s bill is exposed. I use a small drill bit and do a small hole (in the same manner as a safety hole) then I gently pick the shell away with some tweezers. I always refer to the article that Heather linked above. After I do this, I wait a while before assisting. I’ve noticed that my malpositioned ducklings have taken longer to absorb everything. Their internal pip and external pip occur at the same time so they need a bit more time than others.

edit: OP I see that you made a hole and got the duckling air! Great job! Hope you have a great hatch!
0390F2B4-A61A-4474-B613-28E85A1501BC.jpeg

here was one of mine:

Thanks for the tag! So sorry I didn’t see a notification for this tag or I would have responded earlier. Yes I have experienced malpositioned ducklings many times. If I find a bruise on one of my eggs I always open the area over the bruise and make sure the duckling’s bill is exposed. I use a small drill bit and do a small hole (in the same manner as a safety hole) then I gently pick the shell away with some tweezers. I always refer to the article that Heather linked above. After I do this, I wait a while before assisting. I’ve noticed that my malpositioned ducklings have taken longer to absorb everything. Their internal pip and external pip occur at the same time so they need a bit more time than others.

edit: OP I see that you made a hole and got the duckling air! Great job! Hope you have a great hatch!
View attachment 2705129
here was one of mine:
Two of my eggs have holes that big at their beaks. I think I’ll keep checking but the earliest I’d like to intervene is at least their official hatch day so 48 hours. Do you think that’s be too long to leave them. They all have air and can breathe.

I’ve moistened up membranes today with coconut oil. The veins look to be receding but I’m still not sure when to step in.

Attachments

• 90271CB3-A443-4940-BA7F-5DD3990E1B1F.jpeg
    90271CB3-A443-4940-BA7F-5DD3990E1B1F.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 10
  • F73FFEB7-D068-4D05-B4D9-2A0E9058A275.jpeg
    F73FFEB7-D068-4D05-B4D9-2A0E9058A275.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom