Is this feasible?

randomchicklady

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
I have 11 chickens, I will probably add to that number over the next couple of years up to about 20-25.

They have a big coop and run, but I was considering making a smaller portable run, and a few times a week taking a few of the chickens out and bringing them to troublesome weedy/tick infested areas of the lawn to hopefully help control that. If they are seperated for several hours will they be accepted back into the flock at the end of the day? Is it worth the trouble? Will they make much of a dent on the area I put them out in?

Thanks.

Yes. And what you are describing is the use of a "chicken tractor." There is plenty of information on how to build/use them on BYC. Use the search function WAY up there ^^^.

ETA: In response to your question about them making a dent... they'll take it down to the DIRT if left there long enough... LOL

Last edited:
awesome, thanks!

Someone in the coop design forum posted a link to a small portable hoop coop that looks very easy to make, so it got me thinking about this. I have heard of tractors before, but only for full time use, I didn't know about the whole separating the flock thing.

Awesome, thanks for replying, I'm excited about this now...and their primary run isn't even finished yet!!

I separated a few of my chickens to help me in the garden. You know, they didn't like it....They spent the entire time right up next to the fence wanting to get into the "chicken area". I was surprised. So much for free garden help....They were not confined, so that may have been the problem.

Back
Top Bottom