Is this Fowl Pox?

jajeanpierre

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I thought this Silkie pullet (8.5 months) had some dried, caked food on her nares. I caught her up and wiped her face which caused a lot of bleeding. (My glasses were filthy from working in the garden, so didn't see very well.) The lesion on her nares was dry and cracked and looked somewhat like a wart until I wiped it and it started bleeding. There is another small lesion on the center of her comb.

What do I do?

She seems happy and healthy. Do I vaccinate everyone or let it run its course?

Will my parrots get it? They are housed outside in big aviaries near the chickens, but come in when it gets too cold. I have been bringing in two double-copy frizzle (frazzles) bantam Cochins because they can't cope with the cold and they have been in my kitchen and in the bird room with my parrots at night.

Advice please! Thanks.

It looks like it could be a mild case of Fowl Pox. Alternatively, both lesions could be injuries-- my chickens occaisionally get injuries on their combs and sometimes their beaks.

Check inside her beak for any cheesy substance of lumps, as if she has a lump on the outside of her beak, she may have some inside. That would be wet Fowl Pox, which can be more serious.

To help the lesions go away, you can put some iodine on them. Petroleum jelly might also make her more comfortable.

I'm not sure if your parrots will get it. If they aren't in direct contact with the other birds, and there aren't any mosquitoes/flies flying around and biting them, they probably won't.

Last edited:
Thanks. Here's a bit better picture of the lesion on her comb. Before I tried to wipe the crud off her beak, the lesion was just yellowish like food had gotten wet and dried on her beak in a lump.

Back
Top Bottom