is this frostbite?

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
99493139-ADA0-4A25-8CA3-F62A062C0341.jpeg
0B5871A8-8480-4050-BF57-922F0E6C85BB.jpeg

after the insane polar blast we had here in the northeast, three of my larger combed girls look like this. is this a mild case of frostbite? anything I can or should do for them? we have a really well ventilated coop, but had an overnight of -9 feels like -25 which is the coldest they’ve experienced so far, and they spent the day Friday out in the run during the high winds (though huddled together where I provided them a windbreak on the walls). with the low temps and wind I suppose it could have happened day or night. first time I’m seeing the combs look this way and wondering if I can help. thanks!

View attachment 3396266View attachment 3396267

after the insane polar blast we had here in the northeast, three of my larger combed girls look like this. is this a mild case of frostbite? anything I can or should do for them? we have a really well ventilated coop, but had an overnight of -9 feels like -25 which is the coldest they’ve experienced so far, and they spent the day Friday out in the run during the high winds (though huddled together where I provided them a windbreak on the walls). with the low temps and wind I suppose it could have happened day or night. first time I’m seeing the combs look this way and wondering if I can help. thanks!
Yep, it's a very mild case of frostbite.

Even in the Ohio Valley with January temperatures, I have seen some frostbite on large combed chickens, plus wattles. It is hard to completely prevent if temps are near zero. Those are mild, though, and they could heal without too much damage.

Back
Top Bottom