Is this homemade Electrolyte recipe ok?

ApesMullen

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
I came across this homemade chick electrolyte recipe online and I want to confirm that it's a good one:

Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for Chicks
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons molasses OR 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride* (optional)

I was looking to order online but with the virus right now delivery times are delayed so I thought I might be better off making my own. Good idea or bad?

Thank you all for your comments. It helps.

Stupid question: can i give my chicks gatorade once they hatch? :idunno
So technically, you can give them Gatorade if you don't have anything else, but online it says to not use Gatorade that much because the salt and sugar levels are higher than what a baby chick needs. So I would say use it if it's your last resort, but try to acquire safe electrolytes for them asap.

New to BYC.
Electrolyte imbalance, is it common in chickens?:confused:
Sometimes it can be it depends on the situation. It is often used when you buy from an online hatchery since the chicks are a couple of days old and they travel inside a box, you are bound to have a couple that needs an extra boost of electrolytes since they have been traveling in a box for however many days.

Stupid question: can i give my chicks gatorade once they hatch? :idunno

So technically, you can give them Gatorade if you don't have anything else, but online it says to not use Gatorade that much because the salt and sugar levels are higher than what a baby chick needs. So I would say use it if it's your last resort, but try to acquire safe electrolytes for them asap.
Good points.

Plus @Guy with a Rooster .... they should not need electrolytes.
Plain room temp water should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom