Is this Lavender? New Pictures!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KinderKorner, Jul 4, 2010.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I've been wanting Lav silkies for a while. But I couldn't seem to get a hold of any around here. I hatched several batches of B/B/S eggs with the Lav gene mixed in. And after thinking a few of the splashes were lav and being disappointed when they weren't I just gave up on the idea of hatching Lavs. Well today when I was moving my newest silkie hatch outside to the bigger brooder. I realized one of the chicks were off color. I had assumed the chick was a splash from the beginning. Even though it was more of a sky blue and yellow color.

Upon furture inspection It was for sure not a splash. Nor does it even look close to the blues. I couldn't believe it. Was it possibly I got lucky and got a Lav chick after all, and didn't even notice. [​IMG]

Now I am even more worried about moving the chicks out tonight. I hate moving babies out. But knowing that there may be a lavender baby I'm really anxious. lol. They should be fine. It's staying in the 80's and I just checked them. But still.

Here is the baby in question. I looked at feather shafts the tops are white. But the bottoms do look dark. :[​IMG] But I am no expert.

[​IMG]

Here it is with a blue on the left, a white in the middle.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    looks lavender to me, but i think some blues can be very light? im just getting started with lav and bbs, so probably wait for other opinions [​IMG]

3. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    lavender

4. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I have a Bobbi Porto just like her and lots of people say she is if she came from bobbi.

5. gamamachik

gamamachik Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    South GA
    Looks lavender

6. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Lines are Bobbi Porto, George M, Alan Standford. I think. And some others I am missing.

Wow. Awesome! I'm so excited now.

I will try not to get too over eager. Just incase it turns out to be a light blue. Which I think are almost equally as beautiful.

This is a keeper for sure! Thanks

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    It looks too dark to be a lavender to my eyes. It appears to be a light blue. According to Bobbi, I think she has separated out those of her birds that carry the lavender genes and is selling those separately now. Time will tell for sure if that is a lavender or a blue.

8. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I talked to bobbi and she said splash look like that too so idk. I feal the same way about mine as you do yours. We wan't Lavender.

9. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    New Pictures!

[​IMG]

Next to a blue. Big difference there. Lighter.

[​IMG]

Next to a Splash. Again different. Darker.

Gah I'm so confuzed. It looks to dark to be a splash or a lav, and too light to be a blue.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  10. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Kinder email pics to Bobbi she will be more than happy to answer your question She loves getting pics of her distant offsprings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by