Is this molting or is my hen getting abused

Engine823

Songster
5 Years
Jul 19, 2017
Hello I saw my hen has lost a lot of feathers and in a few places pen feathers are coming in but tonight I saw scabs or bloody looking places.
She is in with 4 other hens and a rooster.
Is this normal or is she being mistreated by the rooster or other hens??
Sorry for the poor pictures it was dark

Attachments

• 20191205_200846.jpg
    20191205_200846.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20191205_200840.jpg
    20191205_200840.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20191205_200826.jpg
    20191205_200826.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 20
It appears to be abuse. No, it's not normal. As @Pyxis said, it may be rooster damage. The broken feathers attest to some rough action.

But the hens could be taking advantage of her, too. Broken feathers won't grow back until her next molt (unless she's currently molting), but yanked feathers will start sprouting pin feather. It appears those may be getting plucked out from the signs of blood.

This issue is one of the most complicated we deal with as chicken keepers. There are so many causes, it's sometimes very discouraging trying to find a solution. I suggest you park yourself in the run in the afternoon and observe. This should tell you who and how she's getting the abuse.

That's only the beginning, though. You'll need to then figure out what to do about it. Sometimes increasing the space helps. Changing feed to higher protein can help if the problem is dietary. Restricting the rooster's access can help the hen by giving her a break from his attentions. And finally, she may be a victim of bullying. There's a remedy for that, too.

First you need to watch your flock and figure out who's doing what to whom.

Thank you all. For tonight and probably for atleast a few days I have moved her and one older hen from the stationary coop to the chicken tractor. Just the 2 alone in the tractor.
I also gave her a syringe of rooster booster poultry cell multi vitamins and she has access to feather fixer high protein feed.
I would leave them in the tractor all winter but I'm worried it may be to cold for them. I will post pics of the tractor and stationary coop tomorrow.
For now she is safe
Thank you

I need help. I had removed this hen and one older flock member about 3 weeks ago and have been pampering her and trying to get her healed up and back in better shape.
Well I thought she was much better. I had her in a chicken saddle. Decided to move the 2 hens back to the flock because we are seeing some pretty low temps and I thought they would fair better with the flock.
Moved them back down. The older hen took right back up with the flock instantly but the hen that had been getting abused got jumped on and singled out almost instantly.
She now is sleeping alone in a nest box and the rest are sleeping together.
There is no way I can keep these chickens separated all winter and with work I can't sit and watch them all day.
I put a flock block in to add something else for them to peck but I believe this is just something the majority of the flock doesn't like her
HELP!

Back
Top Bottom