Is this normal? Chickens laying on the ground all day?

Mddutson

In the Brooder
May 14, 2018
I have 4 Americanas that are about 10 weeks old. They've been out side for about a week now. We waited to put them outside due to weather. During this time the chicks started hopping out of the brooder and roosting on the tools that are in the room. We put a wire lid on top of the brooder to keep them in. Now that the are outside they just lay on the ground huddled together. They are eating and drinking. But evertime Igo to check on them they are laying on the ground. Is this normal? Are they huddled together because of the new vast area they are exposed to, compared to the small brooder they are used to? They don't seem to be exploring like i thought they would. They stick to the coop. Please let me know if i should be worried. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
I will try to get a picture tomorrow. But they are not sitting in the Sun they're always in the shade. Temperatures have been in the mid eighties I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.
Than they are staying cool more than likely. 80 starts to be uncomfortable for a chicken.

A picture would help. Sounds like they are sunning themselves? Chicks aren't generally adventurous until they are a few months old. It's a big scary world to them.

:welcome
I will try to get a picture tomorrow. But they are not sitting in the Sun they're always in the shade. Temperatures havebeen in the mid eighties I don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

@Mddutson I am having this same problem!! We have 2 ameraucanas and 3 SLW's together, they just recently started going outside. They lay on the ground in the corner almost all day, I know for a fact they aren't sunning, and there's no way they can be cold. They are drinking and eating too, perfectly healthy. Hoping someone will know what's going on :idunno

A picture would help. Sounds like they are sunning themselves? Chicks aren't generally adventurous until they are a few months old. It's a big scary world to them.

:welcome
15263493858748133758034139267440.jpg
15263493858748133758034139267440.jpg

Back
Top Bottom