Is this normal? Is there something wrong with her?

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
One of my young EEs laid her first egg today. It was really soft almost rubbery. Is this normal will it get harder or is there something wrong with her. I have other chickens and I haven't experienced this before. Your opinions are really appreciated.

hu.gif

Michelle

Hi Michelle!

Not to worry! Eggs like this are called shell-less eggs. That membrane that is under the shell is there, but the hard outer shell is missing. If you're feeding a good layer food, she should be fine. You can put a dish of crushed oyster shell out for your hens to eat. She may need a bit more calcium in her diet.

I've seen several of those shell-less eggs since I've been keeping chickens. It doesn't mean she is sick. That just happens with newly laying hens sometimes.

Sharon

Aren't they they weirdest? lol

My sister used to work for Hamilton Egg here in MI, and they used to have contests to see who could peel a raw egg and leave the membrane intact. LOL. She said she never managed to do it, but some of the people there had.

Yes they are very weird. One of my hens grabbed it and took off and all the others chased her. They were excited they thought it was a great treat. I guess that is kind of gross but, I didn't want to touch it and they beat me to it.
lau.gif

Grab those eggs up real quick, because you don't want your hens to get a taste for eggs.....They you'll have egg eaters.....

Back
Top Bottom