Is this normal?? New chick mamma!

CWitty

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2015
I have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are just 2 weeks old (first ever chickens). The past few days, I've let them come outside with me and dig and peck in the grass. Maybe 15 min tops at a time. They otherwise stay in their brooder box. One I noticed today, keeps digging/scratching in the pine shavings as if taking a 'dust bath' which I've read about and thought she was just practicing. But, she keeps sort of falling to one side, and her toes one one side curl under. The others began pecking at her... I took her out and kept her with me for some time, and just put her back - She went and had water and seems pretty ok... I thought maybe they got into something while outside? Is it the heat?? They all seem to be drinking and eating ok, but this one is def more lethargic than the others. And one I just noticed is holding wings out a little. Temp in box ok (well ventilated and using heating pad on one side). Will try poly vysol in water, but not sure if I should be doing more?? They've been so healthy so far... I handle them multiple times daily to look for pasty butt, leg issues, etc, as well as observe to make sure all are using water bottle (small critter ball waterer) and eating ok which they seem to be. Can molting cause this behavior? Is this normal???

I have 4 Buff Orpingtons that are just 2 weeks old (first ever chickens). The past few days, I've let them come outside with me and dig and peck in the grass. Maybe 15 min tops at a time. They otherwise stay in their brooder box. One I noticed today, keeps digging/scratching in the pine shavings as if taking a 'dust bath' which I've read about and thought she was just practicing. But, she keeps sort of falling to one side, and her toes one one side curl under. The others began pecking at her... I took her out and kept her with me for some time, and just put her back - She went and had water and seems pretty ok... I thought maybe they got into something while outside? Is it the heat?? They all seem to be drinking and eating ok, but this one is def more lethargic than the others. And one I just noticed is holding wings out a little. Temp in box ok (well ventilated and using heating pad on one side). Will try poly vysol in water, but not sure if I should be doing more?? They've been so healthy so far... I handle them multiple times daily to look for pasty butt, leg issues, etc, as well as observe to make sure all are using water bottle (small critter ball waterer) and eating ok which they seem to be. Can molting cause this behavior? Is this normal???
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Try not to handle them TOO MUCH. I know that this is a subjective issue but chicks after all are frail.

I am a tough love kind of guy, if a chick is going to live and thrive they need to be strong. This starts with strong and healthy brood stock, eggs, setting hens and so on. by the way....
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
When I first got checks and was not knowledgeable about some of the things they do I also saw them as laying down and extending one of their feathers to the side as an injury or a malfunction of sorts lol but really it's just how they stretch. They'll do it with their legs wings neck. Now tere over a year and When dustbaithing they still do that with their wings. You could get some wood ash and put it in a small container for them to roll around in. Another good idea especially since you're taking them outside so early to make life a little easier, you could just dig up a nice chunk of dirt and grass maybe like 4 inches wide and deep and just drop it in there brooder. Eapecialy if you can get some worms in there lol they will tear it up in no time and then be able to Dust baith in it

Last edited:
Also as long as the one that was getting packed at is not getting hurt from the behavior you should never separate her from the rest of them because it could cause her to be the weakest link in the food chain and get picked on even more as a result

Sorry for the late response! Thanks so much for the advice... She ended up being fine. Honestly, I think she was simply exhausted and trying to dig a little and rest! So even when I picked her up and she went to her side, it was her trying to sleep! lol. I've taking the advice and have left them alone a bit more especially when they are at rest. I guess it was over excitement with my new babies! They are all doing great and growing like weeds.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom