Is this normal or infected??

May 22, 2020
Texas
So 5 days ago, my 7 & 8 month old pullets attacked the roo of the same age, that they grew up with and we had to remove him indefinitely. (He won't go back probably until this is 100% healed up or in the Spring.) His skin around the eye was bleeding profusely, almost swollen shut, and they got his comb and waddles also. They had also torn out and broke feathers on his neck. It was deep pink and swollen. He is doing much better now as you can see. My concern is this white hard bumpy looking flesh now. Is this normal during the healing process?? We had used peroxide to clean him, got told not to, and switched to bottled water. Been apply neosporin triple ointment (without pain relief). Is this infected or okay? There is no puss or oozing, not crusty either.

Attachments

• 20201026_174946.jpg
    20201026_174946.jpg
    528.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201026_174955.jpg
    20201026_174955.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20201026_175006.jpg
    20201026_175006.jpg
    527.2 KB · Views: 14
W
What's wrong with those girls ? He's a handsome dude. To me it looks as if he is healing well. Just continue to monitor things.
We think his favorite girl (she is so in love with him) got a little over zealous in cleaning his face and feathers (or she hates him) once their was blood, it was all over for him. Luckily my hubby was outside in the yard and heard the commotion, ran to see what was wrong and saved him.

Thanks so much for the fast response!! This is a relief, I was so afraid it was all wrong and something was going on ie infection or worse.

Normal hard yellow chicken pustules he looks great. I do recommend blue-kote on those before returning to the flock so it doesn't risk getting pecked at. However, you note there isn't a plan for that any time soon. He will scratch it out when it is time.
Okay thanks so much! I do have blue-kote on hand for my dog and horses. I thought though that blue-kote would attract more pecking from other chickens? Not that he is going back with them though, anytime soon. He is my #1 roo and we want chicks from him in the Spring.

Okay thanks so much! I do have blue-kote on hand for my dog and horses. I thought though that blue-kote would attract more pecking from other chickens? Not that he is going back with them though, anytime soon. He is my #1 roo and we want chicks from him in the Spring.
If you wanted to add him back, you could bluekote him to disguise the wound and prevent pecking. If you aren't going to return him to the flock it is unnecessary

Thanks for mentioning the rationale I just know but failed to explain properly.
No no no, you explained it wonderfully, really! I just get/see/hear so many different opinions sometimes, it all can be a bit confusing. ;) Between the two of you now, I totally understand and get, how & why to use the blue kote. It's also a great antiseptic, seals things up really nice. I love using it on our horses. One loves to rub her rear on the mesquite trees, then comes back with a small wisp of a branch attached. I use it on her after pulling them out. LoL

Back
Top Bottom