Is this Porcelain? (Silkie)

ladyfaeden

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
St. Helens, Oregon
This is one of my Silkie Roosters. I think he's around 6 months old. I'm not familiar with porcelain-the pictures I've seen look lighter in color then my roo. I saw a picture of a "Salmon" Roo that looked similiar. So-what color would you say this is?

He is not pocelain; he is splash with autosomal red, aka calico. THere is some similarity of appearance to blue/splash salmon. If you want to see true salmon colouring, look at a salmon faverolle. The girls look very, very different. The salmon and blue salmon faverolles pictured below are from feathersite.com:

His head and tail are lavender and his body is buff. I'm not sure that shows up well in the picture. I will try to get another one.

Last edited:
This is one of my Silkie Roosters. I think he's around 6 months old. I'm not familiar with porcelain-the pictures I've seen look lighter in color then my roo. I saw a picture of a "Salmon" Roo that looked similiar. So-what color would you say this is?

I definitely won't argue with these experts but I wish this was a bigger photo.
wink.png

His head and tail are lavender and his body is buff. I'm not sure that shows up well in the picture. I will try to get another one.

If you look at my avatar, it is the colour of a porcelain who is mostly isabel, with only a bit of lavender. See how much redder your boys wings are? Don't get me wrong. I think his colouring is very pretty--it is just not anything like porcelain or salmon. This picture from feathersite is a true porcelain. While porcelain silkies do not have the mottling, they should have the correct hues (isabel & lavender) to be called porcelain.

and this photo of Kazjaps' from belgians.eldras,nl

Thank you for the explanation :) It makes it much clearer.

If you look at my avatar, it is the colour of a porcelain who is mostly isabel, with only a bit of lavender. See how much redder your boys wings are? Don't get me wrong. I think his colouring is very pretty--it is just not anything like porcelain or salmon. This picture from feathersite is a true porcelain. While porcelain silkies do not have the mottling, they should have the correct hues (isabel & lavender) to be called porcelain.

and this photo of Kazjaps' from belgians.eldras,nl

Thanks for the pictures! That helps a lot. I don't really care what color he is, I just want to make sure I'm calling him the correct thing. So, sounds like Calico is the right term-which means my other rooster who I was told was a calico, probably isn't one. He's black with red or buff showing through. I'd call him tortoiseshell if he was a cat.... Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom