Is this quail sick or bonked?

Twoandhelp

Chirping
Apr 7, 2015
Ok so I went to my 7-8 week old pen and a hen was laying on her side. Very lethargic, flops around when I try to make her stand. Her head drops off to one side or the other- she won't hold it straight. No injuries, no other flock members are ill. It's a cold rainy windy day but they are well protected from drafts and rain.

Could the wind have scared her and she's just bonked? She seems awfully close to dying. I put her in a cage by herself because I don't know much about quail illnesses- what do you guys think? I'm terrified she is sick and will pass it on- can I even eat the eggs from them now? I'll add pics in a minute.

Also even if you don't think she's sick- can someone point the way to some reliable resources on common quail illnesses?

I'd place her somewhere warm and see if she gets well enough to eat and drink or at least to swallow if you dip her beak in water, but otherwise I'd leave her alone as much as possible and let her rest. If there wasn't any signs of illness yesterday, my guess would be that she boinked, yes. In any case, I wouldn't be worried about eating their eggs. For the eggs to be dangerous, it would need to be a disease that is a) passed to the eggs, b) disease causing in people in the amounts present in/on the eggs and c) able to survive boiling or whatever you do with your eggs. I don't think there are many diseases like that. You might want to make sure to hard boil your eggs for a while.
They do have oyster shell or some other calcium supplement, right? And their feed has enough protein and vitamins? And they always have water? And nothing suggests she s egg bound?

I feel bad- because of the rain I don't know when it started, I've been in and out pretty quick. I did notice her immediately last night so I'm hoping it just started. They always have water, I feed them twice a day (28% protein) and I put oyster shell in their sandbox. I don't think she's egg bound but I haven't dealt with that much so I don't know. I'm going out there in a bit to see if she made it through the night- I doubt she did, but I'd like to get to the bottom of whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom