Is this shrink wrapped?

@dan26552 you're in AL, what humidity did you run your incubator at for best results?
Thats what I don't know unfortunately. My hygrometer was not accurate at all until I learned about the salt test. I ran the last few batches at about 40% but I thought the problem was with the humidity in the hatcher. I don't think that anymore though, because I have run it as high as 80% for lockdown and the eggs still looked like they do in the picture.

No, that is not shrink wrapped... that is a healthy white membrane and the wrinkles are normal... remember, they turn around for hatching causing the air cell to dip, that is stretching the membrane which causes the wrinkles...

True shrinkwrapping is when the membrane separates entirely from the shell all around below the air cell area...
:goodpost:x2!

I put it in water and crushed ice to test it. I had it on the top shelf in front of the fan though. Now that I think about it, that is probably a terrible place for it. I will move it close to the eggs.

I would definitely do that... might also get some extra thermometers (and hygrometers, it's always best to have extras) and try the boiling calibration test instead of ice... I have heard the ice test may only be accurate for cold readings and hot temps could still be off...

It was possibly resting...Oil the membrane and then leave it...It should hatch if still viable?...[/QUO
It was possibly resting...Oil the membrane and then leave it...It should hatch if still viable?...
I did that...just in case. I put plain neosporin on the membrane and stuck the top of the egg back on with a few dabs of neosporin.

I would definitely do that... might also get some extra thermometers (and hygrometers, it's always best to have extras) and try the boiling calibration test instead of ice... I have heard the ice test may only be accurate for cold readings and hot temps could still be off...
I will try and find some more thermometers today and do the boil test.

Back
Top Bottom