Is this shrink wrapped?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smileygreen64, Jun 15, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I am having trouble hatching. I think they are shrink wrapped. I have a seperate hatcher I move the eggs to for lock down. I had good hatches when I first started but my hygrometer was way off when I tested it and now I don't know what my humidity actually was. The incubator and hatcher are both old cabinet incubators. I have a bucket on top of the hatcher with a small tube that runs inside. I don't open the hatcher and I have tried humidity from 60-80%. I thought that was where my problem was but now I think its happening before they are moved to the hatcher. I usually run my incubator around 40%, but I bumped it up to about 55% for the eggs in there right now.

Can the eggs get shrink wrapped during the first 18 days?

I have some more eggs I am going to try and use the weight loss method with. I am going to track my humidity and weights and hopefully I will find the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Its getting very discouraging at this point.

I will post a picture of an egg when I can get it to work. Its not loading for me for some reason right now.

2. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Here is a picture of an egg.
    Screenshot_2017-06-15-09-45-22.png

3. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
  4. Herdcutter

Herdcutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
  5. Herdcutter

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
    Is it still moving?

6. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    No, that is not shrink wrapped... that is a healthy white membrane and the wrinkles are normal... remember, they turn around for hatching causing the air cell to dip, that is stretching the membrane which causes the wrinkles...

True shrinkwrapping is when the membrane separates entirely from the shell all around below the air cell area...

WVduckchick and Herdcutter like this.
  7. Herdcutter

Apr 8, 2014
    Northern Michigan
  8. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    @dan26552 you're in AL, what humidity did you run your incubator at for best results?

9. smileygreen64

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Some are and some aren't. Thats what they all look like that I opened. They still have large veins and the yolk sacs aren't absorbed. It is day 23 on this batch.

10. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Your temp is too low... if yolks aren't absorbed by day 23, that is temp not humidity...

Have you calibrated your thermometer?

Herdcutter and WVduckchick like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by