is this SLW a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emjay, May 11, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    it's about 9 weeks old now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'd have to say yes, it is a cockerel. Those wattles are too prominent not to be, as well as the masculine look in the face.

3. ClevelandAg31

ClevelandAg31 Songster

Mar 26, 2009
    Forsyth County
    I would actually have to say no, this is a pullet. I raised these for about a sraight year nad many of the pullets had prominent wattles at that stage also. This is just my personal opinion.

4. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    I hope it is a pullet, as teh wattles on the BLR's are same size and they look very female to me.

I am hoping it's a female, as I am tapping out for roosters, I have 3, and they are too noisy, no more.

5. grandads

grandads Songster

Nov 1, 2008
    pullet:D

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Pullet really? I hope you update on the results, because it'd be nice to learn the results. [​IMG]

7. eponagirl

eponagirl Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    Are the feathers at the base of the tail rounded or more sharp? I have 7 week old Wyandottes and alot of the roos have REALLY red combs and the wattles are longer than the one you show here...

So I'm guessing pullet!

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    hmmm, I'll have to check the tail feathers. so, assuming pullets have more rounded tail feathers?

I will for sure update this. These 3 are to be my breeding flock for my BLR roo. so, pullets preferred. haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by