Is this water belly? Pekin

Belrose

Chirping
May 15, 2022
My almost 1yo Pekin has this belly - it feels hard, kind of like a water baloon. It also sits pretty low when she's standing. It doesn't quite feel like an egg, even though I don't really know what an egg would feel like.

I don't know if this is related or not but just adding info: she hasn't been laying properly for months now. I thought it could be depression since her 2 companions died within 2 months of each other and she's been alone. At first they were sporadic and most were soft shelled (we added calcium to no avail)... and now it's been weeks since her last one but the belly issue came much later.

Attachments

• 20230424_152258.jpg
    20230424_152258.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 305
I hope this video helps. I have a chicken with Water Belly that almost died, but after following this video and adding garlic and fish oil to her feed, she is back to a normal healthy bird. She has chronic heart problems, but I can stop her condition from progressing by doing this. I prayed for a miracle and God gave it to her.

I hope this video helps. I have a chicken with Water Belly that almost died, but after following this video and adding garlic and fish oil to her feed, she is back to a normal healthy bird. She has chronic heart problems, but I can stop her condition from progressing by doing this. I prayed for a miracle and God gave it to her.

Thank you so much for the video and well wishes.

We took her to the vet, they did a sample draining (it was grey!) and everything was looking grim. It turned out it's egg yolk peritonitis.

We can't afford surgery, much less without a good prognosis. But we've been doing antibiotics and anti-inflammatory since.

The interesting point is that this has been going for easily 2 - 3 months and her demeanor is okay. She walks, enjoys water, eats... if it wasnt for the big belly we would not know anything is wrong.

Bottom line - I'm thinking to attempt some draining myself, keep the antibiotics and anti-inflammatory and see if she can bounce back. The video is very helpful.... but I have a question:

I have no idea where to buy the needle / equipment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Back
Top Bottom