Is this White Leghorn a Rooster?

Nwestra

Hatching
Feb 12, 2017
Please help me figure out if this sweet bird is a roo! He/she is approximately 5 months old. Allegedly from the same breeder as the other White Leghorn who is clearly a hen. He/she hasn't crowed, but look at that comb and tail! And he/she is much more narrow bodied than my big girl. Neck and saddle feathers are the same shape as the pullet.

The first three photos are the chicken in question. The second 3 are the pullet to compare to who is clearly female.

Chicken in question

Female to compare to

Last edited:
I'm confused by the order of the pictures, but all birds pictures are pullets. Your five month old leghorn's comb and wattles are growing and turning red because she is coming into lay.

Last edited:
At 5 months the bird in question is a hen. She looks like she'll give you eggs any day now!

Hallelujah! She is just so much different from the other one. Allegedly they came from the same breeder, and I pulled them out of the same cage, and they were listed as the same breed. But they are built entirely different.

They are all showing signs of laying soon! 'Bout time they start earning their keep ;)

Thank you!

:) They are built different, in fact, don't be suprised if the heavier bird gives you light brown eggs. Her body shape and small comb look more like a white rock. The bird in question looks like a leghorn with her lighter narrow body and large comb.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

They're both female.

I think the difference you're seeing is different breeds. The heavier bird is either a white Rock or a mixed breed. She's not a Leghorn. will probably give you brown or cream colored eggs, not the stark white of the Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom