Is U.S.A. Social Security Disability easier to get now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the system should be so you can live "high on the hog" it's to help you get by till you can go back to work.

People shouldn't rely on this program. Like I said I'd like the payout raised but not enough to keep people from wanting to go back to work.

caf.gif

The person I was discussing is profoundly physically disabled with a degenerative disease, a quadreplegic, basically. He will never "get back to work" and he does not own any property, lives with his 70 yr old mother. He has been physically disabled since around age 12, when he began having serious problems from this degenerative disease and though he stopped walking around age 25 he didn't get a wheelchair until he was 30 - until then he dragged himself on the floor. Seems to me that $600 is a sad amount for anyone to live on and furthermore he can't even have a savings over $2000, so the system doesn't even let him have the security of that... Based on what you are saying it seems that you want the disabled living in poverty.

When I said that he wasn't exactly living "high on the hog", It was in reference to the idea that disability pays well, and as you can see by my friends example, it does not pay well and I promise you that if you lived on it like he did you would not want to be on it - But there is no magic pill and he will never get better, only worse so he has no other choice. None.

Last edited:
Seems to me that $600 is a sad amount for anyone to live on and furthermore he can't even have a savings over $2000, so the system doesn't even let him have the security of that... Based on what you are saying it seems that you want the disabled living in poverty.
No savings, one car, no land that they dont live on, an a net worth of less than $3k excluding your house an one car.

The person I was discussing is profoundly physically disabled with a degenerative disease, a quadreplegic, basically. He will never "get back to work" and he does not own any property, lives with his 70 yr old mother. He has been physically disabled since around age 12, when he began having serious problems from this degenerative disease and though he stopped walking around age 25 he didn't get a wheelchair until he was 30 - until then he dragged himself on the floor. Seems to me that $600 is a sad amount for anyone to live on and furthermore he can't even have a savings over $2000, so the system doesn't even let him have the security of that... Based on what you are saying it seems that you want the disabled living in poverty.

When I said that he wasn't exactly living "high on the hog", It was in reference to the idea that disability pays well, and as you can see by my friends example, it does not pay well and I promise you that if you lived on it like he did you would not want to be on it - But there is no magic pill and he will never get better, only worse so he has no other choice. None.

Well I think you're looking for the SSI thread this one is Social Security Disability. This is for people that have worked and payed in to the fund. The person you keep wanting to discuss doesn't qualify for this at all. Please try to stay on topic so this one doesn't get closed.

caf.gif

The thread heading doesn't say so and there are members here from several countries. In any case, I was responding to a poster from the UK. A few people may gain by learning what other countries do about welfare systems.
smile.png
silly forigner, thinking you can join a conversation about a universal issue in an international forum with us americans. (I'm joking btw)

Yes that person does qualify for SSD. Anyone that payed in that there kid becomes disabled before the age of 18, that kid is eligible for SSD threw what the parent payed in.

From the SSDI site

Within a family, a child may receive up to one-half of the parent’s full retirement or disability benefit, or 75 percent of the deceased parent’s basic Social Security benefit.

I'm sure that after they're of age they will be able to collect more on SSI then SSDI. They didn't have money to buy a wheelchair for 5 years so I don't think they were making much money and he can only collect 50% of the parents benefit. any caseworker will shift this person over to SSI.

caf.gif

Just off the top of my head, from my experience in the wonderful world of disability:

1) Fewer jobs available means far fewer jobs for people with disabilities, since they may require accommodations, and may have more insurance claims.

2) Fewer jobs means more people putting off medical care, which leads to more disabilities.

3) People in need of hospitalization, regular medicines, and regular treatments can get them through Medicare, if they're on disability. After two years, of course. If they survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom