1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is vent gleet treatable?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattgal, Oct 23, 2010.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    What would be the treatment for vent gleet? Would it make a hen itchy in any way?
    I have read that sometimes it is just a weak pooping muscle and is not curable
    other sites say its a fungal infection
    I don't know what course of action to take
    I went to the local feed store and of course he had never heard of anything like that before, So he recommended tetraciclin (sp). I figured it wouldn't hurt so I started them up on that
    what do I do?

2. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    True vent gleet, if that is actually what you have, is a fungal infection and should NOT be treated with antibiotics, as they will make it worse. Why did you ask the feed store guy for advice instead of your veterinarian?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I just read recently that someone on here used the same treatment that a woman would use for yeast infection just can't remember what it's called.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by