Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

Well, it’s -14F this morning. My heated waterer has ice crystals along the outer edge, but thankfully has the water thawed still. All sides of the run are wind blocked except the side next to the house.

Man, it’s cold! I wore multiple layers & 2 pairs of gloves to open up the coop & let them out today. I had to stand by the fire when I can back inside as I couldn’t feel my fingers when I came back in. The girls, I’m sure we’re not happy, but did not seem in distress. Luckily it should go up to positive 15F by mid afternoon, and tomorrow 41F which will feel like a heat wave. We’ve been very fortunate to have these low temsp for only short periods. This 24 hour negative stretch will last only 24 hours total. I am glad I am off of work today so I can grab eggs as laid so they don’t freeze, and even more thankful I have a window to peek out to see when someone comes off the nest to run out there and get the egg before it freezes.

 How cold is it today? This egg was laid just this morning. The ladies are good tho. Super fluffy and warm. My waterer also had ice crystals around the edge, but I filled it up to the top and it should be ok. Finally opened the coop and one came right out. It's supposed to be much warmer by this afternoon.

20230204_083138.jpg

I woke up expecting to go out to a coop in distress. Went out, and all my chickens looked like big fluffy basketballs. Their coop went from warm when I got home, to downright cold. None of my girls, nor my smaller cockerel, were negatively affected by it. However, my big guy now has black on his comb and wattles, and he keeps shaking his head like they hurt. 😔 He is very shaggy this morning. I gave them some raw egg and that seemed to perk them all up, but they're sitting in their coop trying to hide in their shavings.

So I gave them another whole bag to busy themselves with, bringing the total depth of shavings to about 16-17 inches. 🤭

At least the heat rolls in tonight starting at around midnight. It will be many degrees warmer tomorrow morning when I let them out than it will be at its warmest today. 😊
Campho-Phenique is a mild pain and itch relieving antiseptic liquid. We like it a lot for this type of pain. It gives the chickens a break from the constant pain and itch associated with frostbite.
We got it at the local wal mart.
b16c61c8-143e-4f53-8354-391d2ba0788b.16f21fcafa47cb5d066c923a08513e1f.jpeg

I just went on a mini shopping spree for the chickens. 10 bags of shavings and a giant bag of oyster shell, and all delivered to my door in about 2 hours. Woohoo! It will be a long time before I need to go back to TSC now. 😎
I thought you said
Woohoo! It will be a long time before I need to go back to TSC tomorrow. 😎
At first

Back
Top Bottom