Isa's Homestead Happenings and Hangout

I do hope that I made the right decision in not applying Vaseline to my big guy's comb/wattles, and to a few of my girls that have exposed skin. I got home, opened the coop with the sole intention of sitting inside with them to apply the goop, but realized just how warm it was inside. I quickly shut the door and told them that I was not going to risk letting in the biting wind to try to apply the crap when I was unsure if it would keep them warm anyway. :fl

I do hope that I made the right decision in not applying Vaseline to my big guy's comb/wattles, and to a few of my girls that have exposed skin. I got home, opened the coop with the sole intention of sitting inside with them to apply the goop, but realized just how warm it was inside. I quickly shut the door and told them that I was not going to risk letting in the biting wind to try to apply the crap when I was unsure if it would keep them warm anyway. :fl
Aw, yeah I think the most important thing is that it's ventilated and they aren't sweating in there. It is definitely warmer inside though, than outside. I noticed even without any birds in there, I opened up the duck hut and it felt warmer just sticking my face in, being sheltered. Factor in their body heat and it goes a long way towards making their bodies more comfortable, I think. ā¤ļø

I don't see any benefit to applying it. It just presses moisture against the comb

Wishing Isa and everyone a good weekend! Peace. āœŒšŸ¼
9CC01AFF-9646-4A5C-8ABE-B20AB2AA58B2.gif

I use a product called ā€œMusherā€™s Secretā€ to protect my chooks combs, wattles and feet but whenever the temperature dips low enoughā€¦I donā€™t put anything on them because it just doesnā€™t work when itā€™s that cold and has the potential to make frostbite damage worse in some cases.
That's my logic too. If the bird's own moisture is enough to cause frostbite in certain conditions, I don't see how keeping moist jelly slathered on them will be any better.

Back
Top Bottom