Issue while unzipping

Strix-Aliana

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
It’s day 24 and one has already died while unzipping and another is having trouble. I haven’t noticed any further progress in hours and it looks as if the chick itself is upside down (butt to the air, beak unzipping upside down as well). I’m not sure what to do if anything.

I have 5 other eggs in the incubator that have no breakage at all on the egg, wondering what I can do at this point? I don’t want to open the incubator and risk doing harm to the chick that’s trying to unzip.

It’s day 24 and one has already died while unzipping and another is having trouble. I haven’t noticed any further progress in hours and it looks as if the chick itself is upside down (butt to the air, beak unzipping upside down as well). I’m not sure what to do if anything.

I have 5 other eggs in the incubator that have no breakage at all on the egg, wondering what I can do at this point? I don’t want to open the incubator and risk doing harm to the chick that’s trying to unzip.
What's the humidity? Are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & hygrometers to monitor conditions inside the incubator?

Opening the incubator while a chick is unzipping won't harm it. I do it quite often, especially if I have a chick that hasn't found it's legs yet.

Pictures of the issue will help too.

I’m still afraid to open it, for I know people who do have issues when they open it. Chick has been making slow progress over the span of almost 2 days now… pretty much following the same trend as the one who died. I’m just worried.

Attachments

• 860E8486-E882-4B43-8E7A-DDBD88C797FD.jpeg
    860E8486-E882-4B43-8E7A-DDBD88C797FD.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 4
I’m still afraid to open it, for I know people who do have issues when they open it. Chick has been making slow progress over the span of almost 2 days now… pretty much following the same trend as the one who died. I’m just worried.
Humidity maybe too low. Two days to hatch is too long. I'd assist.

Trust me, it won't hurt to open while chicks are hatching. I've been hatching for 3yrs.

Humidity maybe too low. Two days to hatch is too long. I'd assist.

Trust me, it won't hurt to open while chicks are hatching. I've been hatching for 3yrs.
How can you tell? I’ve been adding water constantly. Says 70% but unfortunately I don’t have a second hygrometer to verify.

I’m afraid to assist because I don’t know how and I know you can do more harm than good by assisting sometimes. What do you recommend

fusually assisting issues happen when its still pipping, so a chick that is stuck that far into progess should be ready. it might be stuck in the membrane and can't turn to unzip more or is in a weird posision.

happened to the hen i have in the pic 6 years ago, she wouldn't be here if i didn't help her out. Assisting becomes an issue when they still have their blood vessels and yolk attached and they bleed out.

How can you tell? I’ve been adding water constantly. Says 70% but unfortunately I don’t have a second hygrometer to verify.

I’m afraid to assist because I don’t know how and I know you can do more harm than good by assisting sometimes. What do you recommend
Never trust the built in Hygrometers, & thermometers. Always use back ups.

The chick is already, ready to hatch. So you can't harm it. If the chick is sticky, use alittle water, or coconut oil to soften the membrane, & gently pull the shell, & membranes off the chick.

Never trust the built in Hygrometers, & thermometers. Always use back ups.

The chick is already, ready to hatch. So you can't harm it. If the chick is sticky, use alittle water, or coconut oil to soften the membrane, & gently pull the shell, & membranes off the chick.
i agree, i even had a built in thermometer 5 degree off....

if you are still not too confident or scared it will bleed out you can try peeling off the outer shell (a tiny bit) and put something like warm water on the membrane to make it translucent to see the blood vessels. did that with one of my chicks, and found out they were not ready, i put them back in the bator and after they absorbed everything i helped out.

Back
Top Bottom