Issue while unzipping

What’s sad is she’s been in here ever since I helped her out and she doesn’t seem to be getting any better and I don’t know what to do. Her breathing is still laborer, chirps every now and again, can’t stand but manages to hobble around, isn’t drying off really. She looks awful.
She was a sticky chick from what it looks like.

You can assist with the drying process by gently fluffing the down with a paper towl.

I tried but didn’t seem to make any difference. She can’t even keep her head up or walk. Her beak opens every second as she labors her breaths…. Just seems like she isn’t going to make it and I’m facing the choice of letting her suffer or putting her out of her misery and idk what to do.
I'd give it until morning. Either S/he pulls through, or may pass.

But if you feel it's necessary, go ahead, & put her/him down.

When I have sticky chicks, as soon as I see a struggle, I assist.

It’s day 24 and one has already died while unzipping and another is having trouble. I haven’t noticed any further progress in hours and it looks as if the chick itself is upside down (butt to the air, beak unzipping upside down as well). I’m not sure what to do if anything.

I have 5 other eggs in the incubator that have no breakage at all on the egg, wondering what I can do at this point? I don’t want to open the incubator and risk doing harm to the chick that’s trying to unzip.
What's the humidity? Are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & hygrometers to monitor conditions inside the incubator?

Opening the incubator while a chick is unzipping won't harm it. I do it quite often, especially if I have a chick that hasn't found it's legs yet.

Pictures of the issue will help too.

It's probably just tired. Did you put it back into the incubator or into a brooder?

When you hatch chicks there is going to be mistakes. Next time you will be more informed. We have all made mistakes. Only time will help you feel better.
I put it into the incubator, should it be in the brooder?

I am really hoping she/he pulls through… how do you get past knowing that you’re the reason most of the babies dried up inside their shell because you didn’t add enough water? My hatch before this had a 13/14 success rate and I didn’t do anything differently this time 😔 I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness and anger towards myself.
House humidity is also important. I keep a thermometer/Hygrometer to monitor the house temperature, & humidity.

I use this data to determine how much water I'd need to add to the incubator later when it needs a refill. I also use the wet hatch method, not dry hatch.

I am really hoping she/he pulls through… how do you get past knowing that you’re the reason most of the babies dried up inside their shell because you didn’t add enough water? My hatch before this had a 13/14 success rate and I didn’t do anything differently this time 😔 I feel an overwhelming sense of sadness and anger towards myself.
We've all made a mistake at some point. I've made the mistake of not using back up, hygrometers/thermometers.

Back
Top Bottom