Issues breathing in almost 10 year old hen

Pics
We've talked before about the possibility of tumors. Cancer is not uncommon in elderly chickens. They can grow on organs and cause organs to start to fail. Then fluids build up as this happens. I've seen it in my chickens and in some of my friends dying of cancer.

My guess is both these old ladies are getting close to their expiration date. Enjoying them each day all you can is the right idea. Make these final days good for all of you.

I called the vet multiple times today and explained while I was there that I believe she is going into heart failure. I also offered to just wait with Eddie at the vets even if it takes hours to get her in tomorrow but they refused. They said I could drop her off but they don’t want me there with her. She will not be in a cage and die alone at the vets waiting, without me. I will call tomorrow and ask to talk to the vet about the diuretics early in the morning.
Im sorry they wouldn't try to fit her in, but no way would I have left her there either. You have the best of BYC's medical experts helping you here, and I am hoping their expert advice combined with your loving care will buy Eddie some more good days.

Ok so Eddie is currently getting amoxicillin. I wouldn’t mind trying doxy-tylan. The pill form hasn’t come yet but I do have the powder form. If I give her a capsule of amoxicillin tonight then start with the doxy-tylan in the water tomorrow morning would that be safe and fine? I can mix some extra powder with water and give her some in a syringe to make sure she is getting it. Or even mix the powder in something tasty to get her to eat it.

Ok so Eddie is currently getting amoxicillin. I wouldn’t mind trying doxy-tylan. The pill form hasn’t come yet but I do have the powder form. If I give her a capsule of amoxicillin tonight then start with the doxy-tylan in the water tomorrow morning would that be safe and fine? I can mix some extra powder with water and give her some in a syringe to make sure she is getting it. Or even mix the powder in something tasty to get her to eat it.
I'm not sure if going from one antibiotic to another is the answer.
If you have her on the Amoxicillin, then I'd continue with that until the Vet visit on Thursday, then ask the Vet what they would recommend.

I'd work on keeping her hydrated and comfortable. Love her up like you always do.

I'm so very sorry that Eddie is failing.

The reason I want to switch is because I have given Eddie amox multiple times before, I feel like it wouldn’t be effective and it’s been more than three days with Eddie’s symptoms getting worse.

Eddie has barely gotten the doxy-tylan antibiotics.

I honestly can’t say for certain that Eddie will make it to Thursday.

There's a point where we stop all treatment and leave our loved one at peace to die on their own terms without the intrusiveness of medical intervention.

Twice now, I've sat with a friends as they were dying. One was in the hospital dying of stomach cancer, and the other was at home dying from a stroke. In each case, all medical intervention was removed so they could die peacefully. The one in the hospital died in my arms. My cheek was pressed up to hers as her breaths became farther apart, and I was talking to her the entire time as she calmed down and left peacefully. The other was stubborn in life and just as stubborn in death and she died a few days after I'd had my last visit and chat with her.

Death is now something I do not fear, and having seen it so up close, and also had chickens and my cat die in my arms, I can understand on a very deep level how natural a process it is. Just as natural as when your two old ladies popped out of their eggs ten years ago.

When they leave, though, they aren't really gone. They are in you, having changed you with their presence and their little lives. Their bodies will soon cease to have the form that they now have, but the particles of matter that were assembled when they grew in their eggs won't actually go anywhere. Those particles will eventually be assembled into other forms and become new life forms eventually. While their essence no longer exists in a material form, it doesn't really leave either. It's present always in your heart. And beyond.

I tend to agree with Wyorp, not to keep switching antibiotics. At a guess, the antibiotics (combined with reduced food) could be making her droppings go like that. Meloxicam should not be given for more than 5-7 days.

Given her age, and symptoms, it probably is heart failure and lung issues, and really, antibiotics will not cure it. Nothing will cure her, just make her has comfortable as possible, cuddle her, talk in quiet soothing tones telling her you love her so much, and what a great chicken she has been all these years.

And as hard as it is, I suspect this is her nearing the end. I work on a 1:10 chicken to human years ratio, and she is the equivalent of a 90yo human. I have one of similar age, just over 9 years old. Every time she looks a bit down, I tell her she is the "best chicken" and she perks up again. There will come a time when she will return to the "big coop in the sky", and it is inevitable. Whether they are chickens, budgies, cats, dogs or other critters, it is always a hard loss.

Her time seems to be drawing near. Just be with her. Keep her comfortable, comfort her with your words. She will live on in your heart. Be glad you had so many years together. She is lucky to have had such a caring human in her life, and it will be hard for her to leave you too. Just be there for her at the end.

My heart goes out to you.

You have some wonderful advice here. We have all been there and it's never easy letting go. I agree that sometimes love and compassion can go further than medicine when they are at the end of life. I am not saying to give up on Eddie, but you have really done all you can to love her and care for her. You must be exhausted. Take the day off from worrying and spend it focused on continuing to let her know she is loved knowing you have the vet appointment tomorrow. Every animal would be so lucky to have a caretaker as lovely as you in their lives. I know this is not easy- but you are doing great 🥰 sending hugs

Back
Top Bottom