Issues with road island 4 month chicken has difficulty walking

CULLMAN

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2018
This is my first time raising chickens. My 4 month chicken has difficultly in walking. No signs of injury or saws. Please advise

What do you mean "difficulty in walking" ... limping, stumbling, both?
Have you checked under it's feet, see any scabs?
What are you feeding?
Do you free range or is it confined?
Any new additions to your flock?

Video of your chicken would help ... Take a video, down load to YouTube then link here.
Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us to know your time zone & weather conditions, gives us insight as to your predator situations also.

What are you feeding?

Video of your chicken would help ... Take a video, down load to YouTube then link here.
Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with your location, helps us to know your time zone & weather conditions, gives us insight as to your predator situations also.
X2! IF the OP can give answer the questions asked and provide us with video or photos, it would be much appreciated:)

What are you feeding?

X2! IF the OP can give answer the questions asked and provide us with video or photos, it would be much appreciated:)
I’m going to move this into the emergency forum. It’s unlikely you’ll get a good answer in the new member introduction forum. Good luck!
Thank you so much, :)

He is stumbling using his wings and left leg to get around. No scabs under his feet. No new additions to the flock. I separated him from them and hes in the house for now. I place probiotic and electrolytes in the water. I feed him Dumor Poultry 16% layer feed. I am trying to down load a video but am new to this website so please give me a moment. Thanks so much for the prompt response.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry to hear of your cockerel’s problem. Does he walk on his hock or have curled under toes on his right foot? Does his right leg seem to be numb or hard to move? It is possible that he might have injured it, or be suffering from a vitamin deficiency, although that usually affects both legs. Mareks disease can cause imbalance and lameness in one or both legs or wings. Does he lie down with his legs in an odd position?

I would try some vitamin B complex tablets, 1/4 tablet crushed onto a treat or food daily. Or if you have chicken vitamins for food or water that contain riboflavin (B2,) that would be good to use instead.

I hope very much that it is not Mareks, but that is just one possibility to mention. It affects young chickens his age most commonly, and is a virus that can cause tumors on nerves and internally on organs, skin tumor, and eye changes, but usually there may be only one type seen.

Here is a good article all about Mareks disease that explains the 4 types of Mareks, the common symptoms, and what age it normally affects:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

He is stumbling using his wings and left leg to get around. No scabs under his feet. No new additions to the flock. I separated him from them and hes in the house for now. I place probiotic and electrolytes in the water. I feed him Dumor Poultry 16% layer feed. I am trying to down load a video but am new to this website so please give me a moment. Thanks so much for the prompt response.

You need to download video to YouTube then upload it here.
Some say, not all agree but a cockerel shouldn't be eating layer. Sounds like you have a mixed (sex) flock, Dumor has a All Flock feed that can be fed to all. An separate dish of Oyster Shells for the hens/layers.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry to hear of your cockerel’s problem. Does he walk on his hock or have curled under toes on his right foot? Does his right leg seem to be numb or hard to move? It is possible that he might have injured it, or be suffering from a vitamin deficiency, although that usually affects both legs. Mareks disease can cause imbalance and lameness in one or both legs or wings. Does he lie down with his legs in an odd position?

I would try some vitamin B complex tablets, 1/4 tablet crushed onto a treat or food daily. Or if you have chicken vitamins for food or water that contain riboflavin (B2,) that would be good to use instead.

2x Start him on Vitamin B Complex tablets, possible riboflavin deficiency.

For video, upload to youtube, then provide us a link.

How long have you been feeding him layer feed?

Back
Top Bottom