It’s getting cold here! Ducks absolutely will NOT use their house!

I use a flashlight and move it back and forth with the light shinning on the ground, They start heading into the house and I say goodnight as I lock the door... Just give it a try it really works well!
They don’t really have a house that locks. They are locked in the fence with their house open to use as they please. But they don’t sleep in it at night when it’s cold! I’m just worried they’re gonna get real cold when they’re sleeping in the grass!
I don’t know what they’re going to do when we get tons of snow.

You should think about putting a door on the house not only for warmth but for protection from critters looking for food. I always lock my critters up cause it just takes once and the all could be gone!

They don’t really have a house that locks. They are locked in the fence with their house open to use as they please. But they don’t sleep in it at night when it’s cold! I’m just worried they’re gonna get real cold when they’re sleeping in the grass!
I don’t know what they’re going to do when we get tons of snow.

You should think about putting a door on the house not only for warmth but for protection from critters looking for food. I always lock my critters up cause it just takes once and the all could be gone!
They are real close to the house at night. They don’t really have that big enough of a house to put a door on it. Maybe like a rubber one but that’s it.

Hi new duck mommy! And :welcome
Post some pictures of your set up so we can see what your working with. An area of some sorts should be set up so that you can lock them up to keep them safe, with a roof. The roof will keep the piles of snow off them in the winter and rain in the summer. Fencing and tarps can help with making a wind block. Ducks can do cold but they cannot do direct wind. It doesn't have to be large or fancy, just something to out of the elements. Reclaimed wood pallets and fencing can work until spring/summer comes around.

It won't matter to a predator if they are real close to the house or not. Raccoons and bears climb right over the fence here and come into the property our birds are on during the day I have caught them on the game camera. So if I didn't lock mine up they'd be gone in no time, Unless you have a LGD they will come right up to the house for duck dinner. Put up some kind of fencing around their house then herd the boys in every evening before dark. Even a dog kennel fence can be made secure with hardware cloth and locks. Might find something like that on craigs list?

Yes, please try to find a way to give them a bit more security at night. I'm sure you're doing the very best you can, but remember that "domestic" livestock do not have the natural instincts that their wild relations do, so they are even more vulnerable. Best of luck with getting them in! Oh, on the Cheerios - do not give them the "honey nut" or any other sugared type, just the regular, basic ones. My grocery store has generic ones in a bag.

You need to put them in a secure type building for at night.
A predator will wipe them out real easy if they are sleeping outside
with no protection.
My group goes into their building at night for lockdown. They have
a kennel run that is tarped including the roof. They can go into the bigger
kennel yard during the day. Give them a dry spot so when they lay down
they are protected from the damp ground. Give them options.
Mine are out in the snow covered yard today. However, they can come
and go into the tarped area when and if they choose to. I keep their
grain and water in the tarped area. And give them treats there also.
That way, they are trained to come in. Their sleeping quarters is only about
6 feet away. I open that area for them at night. I also have chickens.
Yesterday I got them some different straw. This stuff is chopped up in
smaller pieces and they really enjoyed playing with it. I also keep wooden
nest boxes on the ground in one corner in the tarp area. This way, they
will lay their eggs in them. My khaki girls are laying real good currently.
They lay better than the chickens :)

Back
Top Bottom