Pics
9 eggs in 11 days... she's a trooper! Maybe your SF is just practicing... or maybe she will later in the day! Also, can we please talk about how chickens stand up like bears to lay their eggs? I had no idea until I saw Moon *actually* lay her egg this morning...
View attachment 2834245
There she is doing the egg-lay bear thing... 🐻
wow my camera doesn't show my nest boxes that great. my EE just seems to go in and look like she is laying down waiting. LOL the times I have seen my SF is is flinging shavings all over, moving around etc.. butI can't see exactly what she is doing. that is really neat to see yours!!!!!!!! And yes she is most definitely a trooper! She laid Sun, skipped mon, then laid Tue-Sat skipped Sun and has laid Mon-Wed so far! I was expecting around 4 a week from her since that is what I read was normal so a bit surprised at how much she is laying! my SF says 4 a week too so guess we see what she does once she gets into a rhythm of laying. I figure once all 7 girls are laying I should have about 17-22 or so a week if they all lay the #'s I heard. So far Hummer is 2 over so it may be even more. :)

wow my camera doesn't show my nest boxes that great. my EE just seems to go in and look like she is laying down waiting. LOL the times I have seen my SF is is flinging shavings all over, moving around etc.. butI can't see exactly what she is doing. that is really neat to see yours!!!!!!!! And yes she is most definitely a trooper! She laid Sun, skipped mon, then laid Tue-Sat skipped Sun and has laid Mon-Wed so far! I was expecting around 4 a week from her since that is what I read was normal so a bit surprised at how much she is laying! my SF says 4 a week too so guess we see what she does once she gets into a rhythm of laying. I figure once all 7 girls are laying I should have about 17-22 or so a week if they all lay the #'s I heard. So far Hummer is 2 over so it may be even more. :)
It would be awesome to get almost 2 dozen eggs a week! I have several girls that are a little younger than the rest (I had a massive hatchery debacle this spring where 75% of my "pullets" turned into roos and I had to start over...) I'm not sure if the younger ones will lay this year or not. They are right at 12 weeks now. Guess we will have to wait and see!

Plz post pics when your SF lays again! 🥰

It would be awesome to get almost 2 dozen eggs a week! I have several girls that are a little younger than the rest (I had a massive hatchery debacle this spring where 75% of my "pullets" turned into roos and I had to start over...) I'm not sure if the younger ones will lay this year or not. They are right at 12 weeks now. Guess we will have to wait and see!

Plz post pics when your SF lays again! 🥰
Yikes on so many roo's! out of 10 I had 1 pass and 2 roo's so ended up with 7 pullets and my 1 roo. (was hoping for my 10 pullets but I must say I LOVE my roo!). I want more but didn't want to have to worry about introducing them once my others were older and out of the brooder. So decided to wait till next year. Think I will hatch and keep 1 or 2 of those (hopefully splash cochins) and I have 6-7 more I want to order, debating on adding in an extra or two in case I get any roo's. My coop can only have 16 in there so can only keep 8 more. I will just rehome any extra's I hatch as straight runs and pray some I keep end up pullets. LOL

my EE is soooooo quiet! I have had my camera sound on and it is so quiet. My SF seems louder but after she lays she comes out of the coop screaming then the rest join in. haahaaa. my EE comes out all quiet and casual.
Some of my hens moan and groan, others sqeak while pressing and two talk very quietly and lovingly to their eggs while laying them.☺️

Back
Top Bottom