I have honestly, and slightly embarrassingly, not tried to sex by bill color. I read that it's about 75% reliable, presumably by pros, so figure in my noob factor and it would be about as reliable as a coin flip. :D

One thing I did have good results with on my last (Jan 3-4) hatch was with assistance. I didn't keep records (for a change LOL) but I think I helped 6-8 of 22. My perception was they were having trouble with the membrane, like the hard shell portion would separate and chip away just fine, but the membrane wasn't penetrated. Two I thought were goners for sure because I busted blood vessels but they all survived and I can't tell which I helped. Can you?

View attachment 2967227
They are so cute!!!! You'd never know who needed help.

I have items prepped to assist if needed... but so far they are doing really well on their own. I am not ashamed that I will totally be attempting the sex-by-bill color hahaha.

Ahhh! I just checked on the babies and I can see 4 bills!!!!! Here is Optimus!
20220120_194206.gif

WE GOT OUR FIRST BABY!!!! EGG #10 JUST HATCHED!!!

View attachment 2967266
OMG how exciting!!!!!!!!!!!! and so cute!!!!!!!! What ones were under Blackie again? I know you said they seemed a tiny bit ahead of the others when you had to put them in the incubator.....

10 sure did NOT want to be named Faith. (S)he came pretty fast from what you posted earlier! LOL

makes me think about getting an incubator so I can really watch the eggs hatch instead of under a broody... LOL But then I want mom to raise them so thinking a broody may be best (and cheaper. LOL)

The cayugas are 2 days behind the welsh babies so they aren't too exciting yet. I see them rockin' around a little but not quite time for pips!

Right now there are 4 WH eggs that have pipped and it's so exciting! How are your babies? I'd love to see a new pic of them 😊
My ducklings are great! All that hatched survived! And they have a duckling friend that I'm "babysitting"I will get a picture of them, THEY ARE SO BIG!!! How are the eggs doing?

Back
Top Bottom