it seems there is hardly any fans of the rhode island red on here

I really like RIR's. They were the first breed I started out with, and still my favorite. They've proven to be excellent layers, super broodies, and great moms to the chicks. They have good personalities, and with the exception of my roo, not aggressive at all. And the rooster just needs some firm handling, he's my baby! The hens let us handle them and their eggs/chicks, and seem to enjoy having us around. I really enjoy my RIRs.
big_smile.png

I like RIRs and I have some in my flock. I find them to be very friendly as a rule. However, I have one (Cinnamon) that seems to be rather fearful of me for some reason.

Here's my RIR, Ruby playing in my mom's memorial garden.
IMG_0653.jpg

I'm definately a fan of RIR's. Especially Ruby. She stopped laying months and months ago and has been so sick I had to take her to the vet. I won't say exactly how much I've spent on vet bills for her, but lets just say that she's been dubbed my "million dollar baby"! LOL

I have a small mixed flock with RIR, BO, EE, SLW and silkies. In terms of friendliness the RIR are miles above any of the other birds. They are inquisitive, bossy, friendly and sweet. They are the top hens here and I will always have them in my flock. They also lay well, and the one I had over last winter laid consisitently with no supplemental light. Great birds.

My RR is the boss of the run, too. She eats first, lays first, drinks first, and gets the treats first. She isn't the biggest I've got, but she is definitely in charge.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom