It's almost time! Duck buyers unite!

I’m so excited! I’ve been lurking here and on some Facebook groups and I’ve decided I want to get one of each breed! Ha! But really though I’m looking for some small breeders focusing on quality so if anyone has some recommendations I’d love it. I’m not really interested in the large hatcheries that focus more on quantity. When do most start their waiting lists? January?
I have looked and not found any facebook groups? Are yours local or if you are willing can you share?

Mixed feelings about this, I have used chick starter medicated with no problems. It even talks about medicated in Storey's Guide about using it (with other options too) which is like the bible for duck raising. I use the starter feed and now on the flock raiser and will start using layer feed mixed with it, all purina brand. When it came to medicated the ducklings I did not use medicated with were my problem ones but could of been bad genetics, niacin deficient as well. I supplemented niacin in their water, I still give them some now (not an expert on it). The ducklings I have used with medicated feed, I had no problems what so ever. If there is a reason not for ducks to be medicated please educate me, from the posts I have seen there is no proof against it.
This becomes too heated but I have information from a university vet and Duck hatchery to not use medicated Chick starter so I only reply as to what schooled people recommend ...

medicated vs non-medicated aside

Is chick starter still the best thing nutritionally? Are there things it's lacking other than enough niacin or is chick starter plus brewers' yeast adequate?

medicated vs non-medicated aside

Is chick starter still the best thing nutritionally? Are there things it's lacking other than enough niacin or is chick starter plus brewers' yeast adequate?
It lacks the amount of vitamins and minerals Ducklings need being they grow so fast...So powdered vitamins and minerals help in water till they are beyond the age of 3 weeks...

:pop

Still up in the air about ducks.... I've never eaten a duck egg, so ducks that lay a lot isn't high on my list.... I'd like ones that are pretty and don't need a lake to be happy... maybe a kiddie swimming pool.

Ducks are not for everyone....Messy, wet and Messy again..extremely sexual and busy little Birds...Like having Puppies that play in water...

I actually have a question...I know ducks are supposed to live for about 10 years, but if a few got sick and died, the next spring, would I be able to add ducklings?? Also, what should I do to prevent them getting an intestinal parasite? That is what I think my chickens died of.....

Not to take over the thread, but does anyone have an answer/answers to my previous questions? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom