It's done for the moment...opinions welcome.

foxinachickenhouse

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Oregon
So far, the girls (and 1 suspected boy) are happy in their new space. The coop is a reconditioned wood shed that was on the property.

Dimensions of coop are 6.5'x 4' = 26 sq. ft.
Dimensions of run 8'x4' plus under coop space 6.5' x 4'. Total run space 14.5 x 4 = 58 sq. ft.
We have six 3 month old birds. Four standards and two silkies. They have coop/run access when we are not home and free range of area inside electric fence when we are around. Soon we'll add another 25 sq ft of run space on the other side of coop. Haven't built nest boxes yet. Can't decide on design to use. Welcome ideas.

53573_0529001920.jpg

Coop, run and basic range area. Yep, so far, they stay in the fence.
53573_0529001921b.jpg

Coop and run. It's hard to see but the entire top 6 in. of coop is vented using galvanized vent material that comes in a roll. Using river sand in run. So far it's working to keep the area somewhat dry with the constant rains we've had.
53573_0529001926a.jpg

Looking out the pop door.
53573_0529001926b.jpg

The nest boxes will go to the right of the window. Floor is vinyl over plywood over hardware cloth over 2x3's. Need another low roost for the silkies. Any ideas where to put it? One whole side of the coop opens like barn doors so attachment points are limited.
53573_0529001931b.jpg

Couldn't resist this one. Ladybird (Blue Rock) and Om-lette (BO) in action.

Thanks for Looking!!
big_smile.png

Just wondering about the electric poultry netting. I am thinking about getting some but I understand it may not work properly if weeds etc touch it. Do you test it regularly to make sure it is working and is it ok when the grass is a little long? My setup would be similiar to yours with the coop/run surrounded by the electric netting.

thanks,
Wanda

So far I'm pleased with the fence. I test it daily by putting a knee on the ground and touching the fence.
ep.gif
If the fence is against a plant or if there are a lot of grass/ weeds on the wire it decreases the efficiency of the fence. I have started mowing the fence line with my lawnmower and have had no issues. Also, if the fence is grounding to something it shouldn't, you can hear the clicks at the problem location. I got the solar charger and the even though the sun hasn't appeared in weeks the thing continues to charge the fence. I got the fence as a reaction to seeing 3 raccoons watching our pullets from the tree next door DURING THE DAY! It has put my mind at ease and I haven't seen the coons since the fence went up.

A week ago, Om-lette did get caught in the fence. We had to cut the fence to get her out (thankfully it comes with a repair kit) but we decided that until they are bigger and can't fit through the holes, we'll need to be around when they are ranging.
Hope that helps.

Your new run looks great! What kind of chicken is the one in the picture with the feeders? She has her head down, but looks just like one of mine who is only 8-9 weeks old. I'm a newby, and am still trying to figure out my breeds!

LadyBird and Om-lette in action are adorable. Great shot!

I don't know why it is, but I just LOVE watching my chickens scratch the ground in that little dance they do! It ALWAYS makes me smile.

(I am obviously easily amused.)

Your new run looks great! What kind of chicken is the one in the picture with the feeders? She has her head down, but looks just like one of mine who is only 8-9 weeks old. I'm a newby, and am still trying to figure out my breeds!

Thanks! That's Susan Sarandon the Easter Egger.​

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks, that does help. I am surrounded by cornfields. I have been here 1 1/2 yrs and never saw a fox near my house til last week. The girls are locked up when he gets here but I know they sometimes comes out at day and I want to discourage him from coming up to the house even at night. I'm planning on getting the solar charger too.
Wanda

looks great..only thing I can see I would have done different is mount the hinges for the window on top so you can adjust how much you wanted it open.....just my .02 cents

Back
Top Bottom