Its like a toxic pregnancy...and I dont know what to do

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
My silkie went broody, so I gave her some eggs that turned out to be infertile. So after about a week, I gave her some fertile ones, out of which one hatched. I gave her another chick and she raised them both. They are now almost full grown and Mama silkie has gone broody again.

My problem is that she lost about 2 pounds that last time and hasn't gained it back. She is so skinny compared to her sister, who hasn't gone through the process, and now she's trying to do it again. I tried to break her for about a week and a half, but its no use. I just put her back in the basement with some more eggs because she's messing up the whole egg laying system and not accomplishing anything.

I fed her lots of eggs last time trying to keep her healthy, as shwouldnt eat much last time. What can ii do? Im afraid her incessant broodiness is going to kill her.

I've heard dunking them in water breaks them, but that's harsh in my opinion. She should be alright. I hope everything goes well...
fl.gif

She may make it through another hatch, bit she can't stand to lose any more weight. So I either need to figure out how to make her gain some weight while setting or break her of it.

Also, is she going to keep doing this every 2 months? Because I really don't want her to hatch that many chickens and I don't want this to keep happening, or her to die from it.

I have read where people take their hens off the nest 2 times a day and place her by food and water. She should then eat, drink amd dust bathe, then scoot right on back to her nest...

Thanks! Yes, I made sure she ate and got up and everything, but she still lost weight and looks haggard compared to the other one. She is active etc. So not sick. As I said, its like a toxic pregnancy. Its not doing her or anyone any good, actually doing harm, but she still wants to set.

The wire cage just seems so harsh, and I don't have one, so..... would it only break her once? Or would she be destined to live her life in a wire cage? I don't want that either.

I know im being difficult and I really do appreciate your input. Im just trying to trouble shoot, ya know?
he.gif
barnie.gif

I have a broody who sets a clutch every 3 months - she is a machine.

I keep high protein food (20% to 30%) near her and water - so close she does not have to get off the nest. She eats/drinks well and comes off the nest once a day to relieve herself.

If your broody does not want to eat, with food next to her - try placing her kennel/nest where she gets more light, not heat, just brighter light.

Wire cage with little room to move... Put her in at night and the urge will pass in a few days... Again, I don't like it. But.. That the dunk, constant feeding, or possible death via sitting... *sigh* such complicated animals...

I was just thinking corn is very fattening... Weird... But I wasn't sure if strict corn would cause feather picking or egg eating due to protein deficiency.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom