It's rat carnage out there!!!

Quote:
here where I live we are slightly below sea level every time it rains it runs them out of their water filled tunnels they are easy to shoot with a pellet rifle at this point just putting a hose down in their tunnels and turning the pump on will do the same thing some will drown others you will have to shoot

A.T. Hagan :

Quote:
Yep. Every yellow rat snake I see gets a free trip to under the feed shelter at the hen yard. The ones large enough not to be eaten by the hens that is!

Caught a big fat yellow rat snake last night and immediately deposited him inside the feed storage shelter at the hen yard. Live long and prosper!​

CityGirlintheCountry wrote:
Well, the death toll stands at 19 tonight. There were two more lying still and eyeing me. I figure they will give it up tonight. I ain't touchin' them if their little eyes are still open. UGG! Of course, in an effort to thwart me, one of them crawled halfway through the chicken wire and then died. Seriously?! What kind of animal crawls halfway through chickenwire and dies? It took forever to get that one free (it involved severel sticks and a great deal of cussing). Clearly I may be winning the war, but the rats have taken a few of the battles.

I am starting to smell the reek of dead rodent, so some apparently have crawled into inaccessable spots to expire. I guess it's better than them charging at me. Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode...

Not sure if you know this, but poison usually dries them up from the inside out & its extremely painful (that why I try snap traps no matter what) so they are most likely crazy with pain or are so close to dieing that their "out of it". Probably why it crawled 1/2 thru the wire then kicked the bucket. Glad your problems is clearing up though.​

Quote:
Not sure if you know this, but poison usually dries them up from the inside out & its extremely painful (that why I try snap traps no matter what) so they are most likely crazy with pain or are so close to dieing that their "out of it". Probably why it crawled 1/2 thru the wire then kicked the bucket. Glad your problems is clearing up though.

I didn't know that! Great info, thanks! I may start putting out that poison by the tonnage! Personally, I could give a rat's pitooty about how much suffering they go through! I am interested in how you derived your analysis of the pain endured...interviews?
tongue2.gif

Well, I don't want the little beasties to suffer, but my other options were not working. I would happily try something that ensures instant death, but the traps and water buckets and stern warnings were just not working. And of course, the worthless catch and release cat wasn't even remotely scaring them off. The peace treaty that I signed very clearly states that I will not tromp around in their kingdom (aka the pasture) as long as they don't tromp around in mine (any area that I bother to mow). I have kept to my side of the boundary line. The rats are the ones in violation. Shock and Awe was the only plan that was going to work. Sometimes you have to go in strong.

(By the way, this is the same treaty that I hold with the snakes. THey can do their snakey thing in the tall grass and I will hang out in the short grass. There are clear lines of demarcation.)

DickGJ wrote: I didn't know that! Great info, thanks! I may start putting out that poison by the tonnage! Personally, I could give a rat's pitooty about how much suffering they go through! I am interested in how you derived your analysis of the pain endured...interviews?

Ive talked to exterminators & feed store people & they all say the same thing. If you've ever seen that show with Billy the Exterminator he also says it & states that he wont use poison either because of it. The rats are doing whats natural & shouldnt have to suffer for it. Im ignoring the comment you made about not giving a rat's patooty if they suffer.

CityGirlintheCountry wrote: Well, I don't want the little beasties to suffer, but my other options were not working. I would happily try something that ensures instant death, but the traps and water buckets and stern warnings were just not working. And of course, the worthless catch and release cat wasn't even remotely scaring them off. The peace treaty that I signed very clearly states that I will not tromp around in their kingdom (aka the pasture) as long as they don't tromp around in mine (any area that I bother to mow). I have kept to my side of the boundary line. The rats are the ones in violation. Shock and Awe was the only plan that was going to work. Sometimes you have to go in strong.

I understand your other options arent working & im sorry your cats a rat lover lol. Is there any chance you could buy a pump BB or pellet gun & finish them off that way? I know that some BBs even have pointed ends & you wouldnt have to walk right up to a rat to hit it. Guys ive had working around my place have said 10 pumps is more than strong enough to take down a large rabbit as long as you hit it. You could try heart shots...just an idea or have someone else do it if you dont want to.​

I'm not that great a shot. Plus these suckers are zippy. I'd probably put an eye out. Mine.
roll.png

WolfTracks, poison was a last resort. I have been battling the rats for a long time. There were just too many of them to deal with. As wild rats can carry all sorts of random and horrible diseases (and I have a compromised immune system to start with), the poison seemed the best option in the end. I have been pained by the suffering, but I also have a responsibility to the chickens and the children that frequent my yard. And even to the worthless, free loading cat. If it comes down to the rats versus everything else, the rats have to go. I am sorry that this thread is disturbing you. That was certainly not my intent.

Back
Top Bottom