I've been had... What breed/sex does everyone think?

upmycreek

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Hello,

i am new to live chicken ownership and know basically nothing about breeds and so on. With that in mind, this question might be completely obvious, but I am wondering if my chickens are hens or roosters and what breed they are. I only have 6 and I know one is definitely a rooster, as it crowed this morning, but now I am not certain about my other 5.

I was sold
Ginny

the newly discovered rooster (now known as Lola) sold to me as a really great "laying hen" and was told "she" was about a year old and would lay an egg every other day, LOL. I obviously was duped and this person was just trying to unload their rooster.

Ginny aka Lola- (supposedly a year old and laying... had her/him for a month now and hasn't produced anything except a couple of crows this morning)

85667_imag1048.jpg

85667_ginny.jpg

85667_ginny9.jpg

85667_ginny11.jpg

is he an obvious rooster? Also does anyone know if he will breed the other chickens? I kinda want to keep him. I just don't want to crack open a baby chick into my frying pan
smile.png

OK these are the other 5 that I am uncertain of...

Lil' Bit- Lil' Bit was also said to be currently laying and was 1 year old (she has not laid anything in the month that I have had her)

85667_lilbit3.jpg

85667_lilbit.jpg

85667_lilbit2.jpg

Buffalo Wings- supposedly 5 months old

85667_imag1070.jpg

85667_imag1063.jpg

Black Mutha Clucka- supposedly 5 months old

85667_imag1066.jpg

85667_imag1068.jpg

BMC is on the left and the rooster, Lola, is on the right

The Golden Egg Layer- supposedly 5 months old

85667_imag1062.jpg

85667_thegoldenegglayer.jpg

Extra Crispy- supposedly 5 months old

85667_imag1067.jpg

85667_imag1074.jpg

The first one is a Silkie Roo...the rest look like Easter Egger pullets to me. (the black one was a silkie) but you should have some pretty blue and green eggs before too long. Oh the roo will breed the hens...LOL that is what they do but you dont have to worry about cracking open an egg and a chick falling into your skillet as long as you gather your eggs every day. They are just as good to eat as eggs who have been kept without a roo.

It's not looking good to my eye. I think you could be looking at all roosters. I'm not sure about Lil' Bit, but someone more familiar should be able to tell you.

Great looking group! I know little about breeds except that you do have some silkies in there. The ones with the green or green-blue legs are called EE (easter eggers). You will get more specific and accurate answers from the more experienced chickeneers.

The more I look at your pics the more I think you should thank the guy who sold you those birds...you really do have some beautiful young EE pullets. They look very healthy are have beautiful color patterns. (EEs come in every color imaginable)

I think those birds are gorgeous! A few look a bit younger than stated, but I think the EE's are all girls. My EE's all look kinda like they have pointy saddle feathers, but they are all female (and laying). None of them seem to have combs red enough to be laying.

I agree with the others. The EE's all look like girls. I am not a big fan of silkies, but I really think the roo is very handsome. The EE's could take longer before they lay but you should get some nice blue/green eggs from them. And as someone else pointed out, you won't crack open an egg with a chick in it as long as you collect your eggs every day.
welcome-byc.gif
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom