I've gotten myself in quite a pickle*LONG*

Why would your neighbor choose to play with someone else's animal? That seems stupid.

It was also stupid of her to come into your yard with the dog there, although I can understand why she did it. She was probably concerned with the items being destroyed by the dog chewing on them or playing with them while she waited for one of you guys to come home.

I do think something needs to be done about the laundry, though. It sounds like the dog needs to be trained not to play with things like that. The dog cared more about his new "toy" than his obedience training and jumped and snapped at the clothes on her shoulder. I would be very scared and angry, too, just because of all the horror stories out there. People are brainwashed to be immediately against any dog like yours. I also think that you should find out if the dog damaged any of the items and offer to buy replacements.

The dog ought to be penned or chained up when he isn't being supervised in the yard by one of you guys, also. It probably doesn't sound "fair," but it will keep you from getting into further trouble with your neighbors (and maybe the law) and possibly losing your veterinary job over animal troubles. I believe in CYB (cover your butt) whenever possible.

Plain and simple she was trespassing and legally you and your dog have a duty to protect your property. Neighbors and strangers are starting to get a little too familiar these days...but that is only my opinion...

Sounds like you need a
hugs.gif
! Sorry that you are facing an ugly situation!!

Quote:
Thank you all for your support. I took him with me to work today, and got a copy of his rabies certificate, "to have on hand". My husband stayed home from work and attached six foot chainlink to our existing chainlink fence. Now, he cant hang over the fence-or put his feet on top of it. Funny thing is, their Golden met me quite aggressively at the fence- barking his fool head off, when I got home. Also, their kids yelled out: "HI YOGI" when i got him (leashed) out of the van.

I wanted to address the post I quoted. My dog didnt ignore his obedience training by playing with the neighbors laundry. I have never trained him not to take clothes off the fence..simply because I never put any there. He jumped up- AFTER she played with him. I don't know what she did in my yard to play with him. I was too upset to make full questions last night, or I would have asked her what she did to play with him. For all I know she was batting at him with the clothes as in tug of war- she said she played with him.

I also dont feel good about using the word, "snapped". They did- and indeed that could be what it is called. however, I believe- knowing my dorky dog, that it was more of a grab, and perhaps even his nails. I don't know. I just know that I have to "Kiss up" so that they don't call animal control. I am hoping that the chainlink extension will suffice until I can afford to buy the privacy fencing. I need a couple weeks with school clothes shopping needing to be done, also. There is a possibility that I can purchase four panels to do half the yard,and wire it to the chainlink- until I can get the posts.
My side of the chainlink is concrete- so my dogs cant dig. Someone had said, 'in case my neighbor digs'..we are covered there- my drive goes all the way back to the garage. No access to dirt.

Here is a picture of my boy on his destroyed couch after he defluffed the cushion:

updatedjellybeans012.jpg

Hugs, Mom2...
My DH is one of the AGH it's a pitbull!!! runaway people...
I got bit by a very Dachshund at work...and slobbered on by the "pits" that come in...

I'd ask her what she was doing to play with him and ask for pictures of "the injury".

We have had pit bulls in the past, with 5 kids, and they were all raised to be big babies. Now I have a chow cross and he has a worse temperment with strangers than EVER our pits did.(But with just myself and youngest daughter at the house I DONT consider this a completely bad thing.)
I sure hope everything works out for you. Its when I hear of things like this I know why sometimes I like my animals better than most people!
roll.png

I think the solution is to keep your dog indoors while you are at work. It will not be safe while you are gone- could be poisoned, etc.

The other thing I think you need to consider is that when you are gone your dog may feel you are leaving him in charge of the property. A lot may go on that you are unaware of, since your dog will behave differently when you are not around.

I know many people don't believe in keeping dogs indoors, but if you keep your dog indoors while you are at work he will be relaxed and sleep all day. And he won't frighten neighborhood kids or passing dogs with his vocalizations. So many dog fights begin when another dog panics/interprets your dog's barking as a threat, even if it is well intentioned or normal for your dog.

I really think that with a pit bull you need to be extra careful to avoid setting it up for disaster, like biting the neighbor or getting identified by the authorities as a dangerous animal (since you can lose the dog to the law in that situation). It's a different kind of responsibility with pit bulls, since you have to also be so aware of the fact that others will be afraid of the dog. Now that your dog has bitten someone you are at such risk of it being confiscated and destroyed. (And putting other people through the agony of post-bite rabies shots is just not fair, of course.) I truly believe keeping it inside is the answer, unless you are outside with it to keep an eye on it.

I can't imagine how stressed you must be and totally feel for you. You have my best wishes.
smile.png
I think this situation can work out if you are willing to take your neighbor's fears and concerns into consideration and change the way you are doing things out of respect for them and to keep your dog safe.

I can tell you are a good person with great intentions and hope you will feel supported by all the comments here. I am a huge dog lover-- my dogs are my kids! But I also have been in terrible situations with neighbors whose dogs terrorized the neighborhood (and the owners never seemed to take that seriously, since the dogs behaved so differently towards their owners). I hope that after a little time passes that you'll feel more comfortable talking with your neighbors and working out a solution that everyone can feel comfortable with. I know you want your neighbors to feel safe and comfortable in their own home and neighborhood, too.

WIth very best wishes,
Nancy

Quote:
Thanks again for all the support, everyone. I do keep him inside when there is nobody around- see couch in above photo- lol- however my son was home. He was outside on his skateboard. My Golden retriever was outside, also, when this happened. My neighbor could have asked my son to go get her clothes-but she wasn't afraid of my dog. She used to carry him around as a puppy and play with him. That is what makes this terrible. Her husband has the pit bull hatred.

Of course now, there is residual stress. Which leads to arguments between my husband and me. He talked yesterday to neighbors wife. She was telling him that her husband (gone out of town for a week- hallelujah!) left angry with her,accusing her of siding with us. Nothing like an argument at 5 a.m., because it sure sounded to me like he was defending them this morning. AND any argument done at five a.m. before both parties have had their fill of coffee will result in hateful comments made by both parties. Yep, this day has sure started out wrong.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom