I've lost my mind, just threw in 2 eggs from fridge...

I have a hen currently setting fridge eggs for me. I bought fertile eggs from the organic grocery store, popped them under my hen who'd been sitting on the nest for two days with no eggs under her, and will keep everyone posted as to what happens.

We are on day 3. Set to hatch on the 27th, if I'm remembering correctly. Chickens do hatch after 21 days right?? Either way, I'll post results.

Quote:
Funny , I just bought some fertile eggs tonight at the grocery store... I've tried Trader Joe's eggs before but none hatched... but now that I know how to determine the date on the eggs... I saw some that were only laid 3 days ago tonight.... the earliest I could find at Trader Joe's was 8 days... so I thought maybe these had a better chance. So $3.98 later.. I bought eggs! LOL I needed more hatching eggs like a hole in the head but I'm a hatch-a-holic so what can I say.....

Nancy

I bought a Dozen Fertile Eggs from trader Joes. the freshest they had were 9 days old, and I let them rest for a night before putting them in the bator, so they were 10 days old, and none developed at day 10, so I threw them out, but you never know! Keep us updated!

Quote:
Funny , I just bought some fertile eggs tonight at the grocery store... I've tried Trader Joe's eggs before but none hatched... but now that I know how to determine the date on the eggs... I saw some that were only laid 3 days ago tonight.... the earliest I could find at Trader Joe's was 8 days... so I thought maybe these had a better chance. So $3.98 later.. I bought eggs! LOL I needed more hatching eggs like a hole in the head but I'm a hatch-a-holic so what can I say.....

Nancy

Now, let me make sure I understand this; these are labeled as "fertile?" And you bought them at the grocery store. And you've tried it all before with the same brand and were unsuccessful?
I find this all very interesting.

First that "fertile" eggs are being sold in any grocery store is unique. I mean how can the supplier guarantee fertility of each or any egg in a dozen? There is no non-destructive test I'm aware of to do so.
You've tried them before and it didn't work, so there is at least something awry with this Trader Joe character's quality control efforts.

And have people in California changed so much that they actually want fertile eggs from the store? I can see it at a natural foods outlet, where the eggs could have a disclaimer stating that they "may be" fertile. But the local Big-Bux grocery store... on purpose? The average consumer in my experience (and I live in a rural, agricultural area) still goes "Oooooh... yuccck!"
sickbyc.gif
at the thought of eating fertile eggs.

Is there a back story here that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey, now, *STOP* that!!!!!!
lol.png

KristenM1975 and NancyDZ; Maybe this can be a "refrigerated eggs thread"
smile.png
.... My 8 orp eggs are due the 29th, the 2 "fridge eggs" will be due the 30th. I like to candle, tho, so I should know way before then if they are developing...

Davaroo; from what I've seen on other threads, they are not nesc. advertising them as "FERTILE", which probably would freak people out (!silly but true!).. I think they are just organic/free range, which people DO want, and are sold for eating, not hatching... No proposed "fertility rates". BUT... "those in the know
wink.png
" see the "bullseye" & know how to read the date they were laid, so I guess they got curious like I did, & threw them into 'bator.
big_smile.png
VERY cool to know have been some successes!!!

Trader Joe's here sells eggs that are labelled "fertile." You know us Californians are a little weird. I think there is some urban myth floating around that says fertile eggs are lower in cholesterol, or something like that. So, they sell "fertile eggs." For real.

I've hatched eggs brought in that were all but frozen, and long refridgerated eggs. Usually go better or as well as good shipped egg hatches.

Yes, some health food stores and trader joes sell eggs actually labelled fertile. They check a representative sample (yes by opening them) for fertility and sell them that way. Some cage free and free range eggs are fertile, you check by cracking one or two of the batch.

I didn't try refridgerated eggs until after the near frozen (over 32 degrees, under 40) hatched. After that I wasn't surprised fridge eggs hatched too.

I hatch a LOT of eggs that are outside the "guidelines" for selecting hatching eggs. Dirty, muddy, wet, nearly frozen, pullet eggs, whatever. It's an egg. It has a good chance of going. I don't mind a few weeks effort if it produces a chick or I learn something.

When I don't have room for my experiments, I don't add them but sometimes I have whole hatches of nothing but what would be junk eggs by the normal standards. Plenty of impossible chicks and chickens running around here now.

I've hatched 3 dozen refrigerated and washed eggs before. I oot them from a friend who sells them at a farmers' market and was surprised that they hatched. In fact, I happen to have one of those refrigerator hatches in the crock pot right now! I hope he's good! Good luck to you. It can be done!

Back
Top Bottom